View Single Post
Old 25-05-13, 21:02   #3
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Default re: PHOTOs-Cavendish Overall Winner>Giro d'Italia Race

Nibali eases to time-trial glory and extends commanding overall Giro d'Italia lead

PUBLISHED: Daily Mail UK, 23 May 2013

Home favourite Vincenzo Nibali strengthened his grip on the Giro d’Italia race lead with a commanding victory in the stage 18 mountain time-trial in the Dolomites.

Nibali (Astana), who was third behind Sir Bradley Wiggins at last summer’s Tour de France, won the 20.6-kilometre race against the clock from Mori to Polsa by 58 seconds from Samuel Sanchez (Euskatel Euskadi) to enhance his hold on the pink jersey.

Nibali is in confident mood despite the unpredictable weather, saying:
"Today I've taken another major step towards winning the Giro. I hope the weather remains good.

Pretty in pink: Vincenzo Nibali won the stage 18 time-trial at the Giro d'Italia on Thursday

Commanding: Nibali extended his overall Giro d'Italia lead to more than four minutes

Pursuit: Second-placed Australian Cadel Evans finished a disappointing 25th on Thursday

In the mix: Team Sky's Rigoberto Uran is third

'Whether or not we can ride the mountains stages as planned, changes little. I'm in good shape anyway. I've demonstrated that again today. So I'm relaxed.'

Nibali has also been encouraged by the crowds that have been turning out for the Giro recently.

'This Giro has been good to Italy, and good for the South of Italy, with (Giovanni) Visconti's stage wins. People are more and more passionate about cycling,' he said.
'Over the last three stages, the crowds have been very big. Even today, despite the rain, there were plenty of people at the roadside. Perhaps this Giro has relaunched Italian cycling. That's what we all wanted. I think we're on the right road.'

Second-placed Cadel Evans (BMC Racing) conceded two minutes 36 seconds after finishing 25th on the stage to fall back to more than four minutes behind with three days of racing remaining.

Rigoberto Uran (Team Sky) remains third, 4mins 12secs adrift, after finishing sixth on the stage, 1:26 behind Nibali.

The race appears to be Nibali’s to lose.
The 28-year-old Italian is seeking a second Grand Tour success following his victory in the 2010 Vuelta a Espana and has been in supreme form in his home race.

In teeming rain, Nibali soared up the ascent to Polsa to win in 44:29, with Sanchez almost a minute adrift. Damiano Caruso (Cannondale) was third, 1:20 behind.

Michele Scarponi (Lampre-Merida) was a second further behind in fourth and remains fourth overall, 5:14 behind Nibali ahead of Friday’s 139km route from Ponte di Legno to Val Martello/Martelltal, the 19th stage and penultimate route in the mountains.

The race finishes on Sunday in Brescia, with a sprint finish expected which would favour Briton Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), the winner of four stages in the race so far and points classification leader.
Cavendish is aiming for a points classification clean sweep after winning the titles at the Vuelta and Tour in recent years.

..................SHARKS are Closing in on TRUMP..........................

TRUMP WARNS; 'There'll Be a Bloodbath If I Don't Get Elected'..MAGA - MyAssGotArrested...IT's COMING

PLEASE HELP THIS SITE..Click DONATE
& Thanks to ALL Members of ... 1..

THIS SITE IS MORE THAN JUST WAREZ...& TO STOP SPAM-IF YOU WANT TO POST, YOUR FIRST POST MUST BE IN WELCOMES
Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote