View Single Post
Old 28-07-12, 00:11   #6
photostill
The Enigma

Thanked 1,524 Times in 928 Posts
photostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant future
Default Re: Top Music Stars Ask UK Prime Minister For Anti-Piracy Action

As always with these articles, there is stuff that is not said, not mentioned, or ignored.

I read this study earlier today on the songs sounding alike. Now let me mention another reason why they all sound the same they left out. Since the mid 90's a computer program was developed to predict the next Top Ten hit. Used to be they had special people that had the skills over the years to do that but retirement was looming. Does the famous phrase, "I don't hear a hit", ring a bell?

What the computer program did was measure close similarities to other songs that 'made it', compared them for how close it might be to making it as well. Over time they all get to sound the same, because they were picked to be homogenous and therefore hopefully bring in the cash.

This is part of the reason that many are still buying songs from the 60's up to the 90's but aren't going much farther. In fact another article somewhere I read made mention that modern rock wasn't as popular as old rock.

Part of what also killed the album sales as you mention is the filler. Those songs no one wanted but to get that one or two good songs you had to get the whole thing. When you looked at what you paid for the album, those one or two good songs weren't worth it. We have returned to the days of the 50's and the 45 rpm record that had that one good single. During that time the 45 was what sold, not so much albums. It was the scheme of the major labels to stop making 45s and only sell albums with higher profit returns.

Again the major labels crapped in their pot. Used to be that mom and pop record stores were all over the country. The box chains got to selling music and Walmart used it as a loss leader to get you in the store. Moving far more volume than the mom and pop stores allowed them sweetheart deals that mom and pop couldn't match. That's why they went out of business. After this Walmart told the majors, drop the price or we drop music selling. At that time they with the rest of the box chains were selling approximately 80% of the nation's music. Walmart would not have been hurt to drop selling music but the it would have cratered the labels because they really didn't have any more high volume outlets to sell from.

You can help this site, by clicking on the link below to buy a Premium Account.
& Thank you for helping us. Click;

photostill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photostill For This Useful Post:
Al.Ternat (28-07-12)