View Single Post
Old 25-07-12, 20:20   #23
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Olympic Rings re: Stunning PHOTOS-Olympic Games-London 2012-INFO, News, & Results

London 2012: Greece expel triple jumper over racist Twitter remark

• Voula Papachristou expelled from London 2012 over tweet
• Triple jumper issued apology: 'I respect all people and races'

Guardian UK staff
  • Wednesday 25 July 2012 11.46 EDT

• Voula Papachristou has been expelled from the Greek Olympic team. Photograph: Str/AFP/Getty Images

The Greece Olympic team have expelled their triple jumper Voula Papachristou after she made a racist remark on Twitter, days before she was due to compete at London 2012.

Papachristou, 23, who was part of the 105-strong Greek team in London, had commented on the widely reported appearance of Nile-virus-carrying mosquitoes in Athens by tweeting:

Quote:
    "With so many Africans in Greece, at least the mosquitoes of West Nile will eat homemade food."
    She subsequently deleted the message.

The comment provoked a furious reaction on Twitter, with responses including: "If you are serious, the Greek Olympic Team should put you on the first plane and send you back", and "Xenophobic comments from a Greek athlete in the Olympic mission are unacceptable. We are ashamed."
    An announcement from the Greek Olympic Committee condemned the comment as "contrary to the values ​​and ideals of the Olympic movement".

Papachristou later said:

Quote:
    "I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account. I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone, or to encroach human rights.
    "My dream is connected to the Olympic Games and I could not possibly participate if I did not respect their values. Therefore, I could never believe in discrimination between human beings and races.
    "I would like to apologise to all my friends and fellow athletes, who I may have insulted or shamed, the National Team, as well as the people and companies who support my athletic career. Finally, I would like to apologize to my coach and my family."
    Papachristou's coach, George Pomaski, said the expulsion was unduly harsh. "It's too much, the penalty should not have been so strict. She has already apologised for her remarks.
    "This is a big disappointment not only for her but for her family and for myself, and anyone involved in the Greek team."
    END

What a silly offensive irresponsable remark for her to make. However I do think the punishment given was too harsh.
    But I feel very sorry for the Greek people, they really needed her to take part of the Olympics and win some medals, to give them all a much needed boost. They have been through such tough times of late, with the state of their economy.

..................SHARKS are Closing in on TRUMP..........................

TRUMP WARNS; 'There'll Be a Bloodbath If I Don't Get Elected'..MAGA - MyAssGotArrested...IT's COMING

PLEASE HELP THIS SITE..Click DONATE
& Thanks to ALL Members of ... 1..

THIS SITE IS MORE THAN JUST WAREZ...& TO STOP SPAM-IF YOU WANT TO POST, YOUR FIRST POST MUST BE IN WELCOMES
Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote