View Single Post
Old 08-03-24, 04:33   #70
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Movies re: FED Judges' TRAP Worked-TRUMP Posts $91MIL Bond & Appeals $83MIL Judgment

Federal Judge Sets The PERFECT TRAP For BROKE TRUMP

Judge DENIES TRUMP Request to Delay $83.3MIL E Jean Carroll Payment

Judge Lewis Kaplan says former president must post acceptable bond during expected appeal against verdict in defamation case

The Guardian 8 MAR 2024

A federal judge on Thursday denied Donald Trumps’ request to delay enforcement of the writer E. Jean Carroll’s $83.3MIL verdict in her recent defamation case.

The decision by US district judge Lewis Kaplan in Manhattan adds to pressure on Trump to line up an acceptable bond during his expected appeal.

In the 26 January verdict, jurors agreed with Carroll, a former Elle magazine advice columnist, that Trump had defamed her in June 2019 by denying he had raped her in the mid-1990s in a Bergdorf Goodman department store dressing room in Manhattan.

Kaplan made the verdict official on 8 February and gave Trump 30 days to post a bond or come up with cash during his appeal, which is expected to challenge the jury’s finding of liability and the amount of damages.

Trump had sought to delay enforcement of the verdict until the judge ruled on his motions to throw it out, which he filed on Tuesday.

But the judge said Trump should not have waited 25 days after the verdict before seeking a delay.

He also said Trump failed to show how he might suffer “irreparable injury” if required to post a bond.

“Mr Trump’s current situation is a result of his own dilatory actions,” the judge wrote.

Lawyers and a spokeswoman for Trump did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Carroll’s lawyer Roberta Kaplan, who is not related to the judge, declined to comment.

In seeking to avoid posting a big bond, or any bond at all, lawyers for Trump rejected Carroll’s claim that his finances were strained.

They assured that Carroll was “fully protected” and said a $24.5m bond would be more than enough to “secure any minimal risk” to her.

Carroll disagreed. She said Trump’s finances were opaque, called Trump the “least trustworthy of borrowers” and said his request “boils down to nothing more than, ‘Trust me.’”

Trump’s financial flexibility deteriorated last month, when the judge who found him liable in New York attorney general Letitia James’s civil fraud case ordered him to pay $454.2m.

He offered to post a $100m bond in that case, but James said any bond should cover the entire judgment.

An appeals court judge on 28 February denied Trump’s request to delay enforcement during the appeal.

Asked on 5 March if he could pay what was owed or post bond in both cases, Trump told Fox News: “I have a lot of money. I can do what I want to do … I don’t worry about the money.”..

Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote