View Single Post
Old 29-01-24, 10:10   #7
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Movies re: Horizon Post Office Scandal: Chief MADE Postmasters' Widow Sign NDA

Post Office Chairman Henry Staunton SACKED by Government as Fury Over Horizon Scandal Continues to Grow

Business Secretary Kemi Badenoch hints there could be MORE sackings at the Post Office after boss Henry Staunton was ousted 'amid row over compensation scheme for wrongly accused ex-postmasters'

MailOnline 29 JAN 2024

Kemi Badenoch has hinted there could be more sackings at the Post Office after former chairman Henry Staunton was sacked following a row with the government over the Horizon scandal.

Mr Staunton, who had been in the £150,000-a-year-role for a little over a year, received a call from the Business Secretary yesterday afternoon in which she told him he would be replaced.

They agreed to 'part ways with mutual consent' and an interim will be appointed 'shortly', the Department for Business and Trade said.

Ms Badenoch has not ruled out more people being removed from their jobs at the scandal-hit Post Office.

Asked on Sky's Sunday Morning with Trevor Phillips whether there will be further resignations from the board of directors, she said: 'I won't be making any further comments around personnel changes. I think we need to do this in a civilised way.'

There had been tension between Mr Staunton and the government over plans to force through legislation to compensate the wrongly convicted sub-postmasters quickly, The Sun reports.

Hundreds of subpostmasters are awaiting compensation despite the Government announcing that those who have had convictions quashed are eligible for £600,000 payouts.

Ms Badenoch said today: 'It just wasn't working' when asked why Henry Staunton could not carry on as chairman of the Post Office.

Speaking to BBC's Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg programme and asked about what her concerns were over Mr Staunton as chairman of the Post Office, Ms Badenoch said in taking up her role she was focused on three things: 'get the money out of the door', 'making sure that it was fair', and 'looking at the governance around the Post Office'.

On the latter, she said: 'That is where my deciding that we needed a new chair of the organisation was important. It just wasn't working.'

She added: 'There were various disagreements within the board. And when I looked at it I thought that a change of personnel was what was required.

'I don't want to do HR on live TV, these are human beings that we're talking about. It is very difficult to be asked to stand down from a position.

'But I decided that given all of the difficulties the Post Office is having, it's not just about Horizon, it's about the entire business model, how we make it work, that we needed someone who could chair a board that was able to deal with these things effectively.'

Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote