View Single Post
Old 28-04-12, 19:29   #3
photostill
The Enigma

Thanked 1,524 Times in 928 Posts
photostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should job-hogging over-50s all resign?

How well I know. My job was terminated after 22 years through corporate merger. What the good lady of the article can't say is that she can't suggest that and work for her employeer. S/he would have that lady by the neck, not to mention the article wouldn't go out printed as such.

The point of needing hours to pay for bills, is that the employers aren't paying you for the productivity you are doing. Your annual pay raise, along with everyone elses, is going to the CEOs and senior management staff. That's why you need more hours to pay for the bills.

The idea of just throwing out people working because of their age, is the gimme attitude. Lord I would hate to tell you how many times I've run into that. I've finally reached the point of having a bee in the bonnet over it.

*edit* Reason I keep beating this business about pay raises to death, is that the CEOs have gotten something like 435% raises since the 70's. Workers have gotten layoffs for fewer jobs and only something like 7% pay raises over the same time span. When you look at inflation, worker pay raises haven't even kept up with that alone. Cost of living and other associated costs have risen, giving most folks buying power for the wage of the 70's era. This in a nut shell is why the economy is flat on it's back. 70% of the economy is driven by consumer spending. Without discretionary income, that consumer spending is dead.

**edit** There is one other reason why the economy isn't doing so well. It has a lot to do with not being paid for the increase in productivity. From the 40's till the 70's increases in wages were tied to increases in productivity. But after that, wage increases decoupled from productivity. Working harder, putting out more product did not result in increases in wages. The labor income is split off from capital income. Capital income drives stock returns, rent, property, ect needed to keep the corporation or business going. Capital income during this time has increased a goodly some, taking a large chunk of the income. Out of labor comes the senior management and CEO pay.That section has seen tremendous growth. But workers have not seen much if any. Workers are also squeezed by the costs of goods. If you compare costs of goods to hourly productivity, you find rather quickly that consumer goods prices have increased at all areas, unlike the span from the 40's to the 70's. So not only have prices increased while wages haven't but inflation factors in to downgrade the standard of living. Your money now buys what it would have in the 70's only it takes far more hours to make that same money.

You can help this site, by clicking on the link below to buy a Premium Account.
& Thank you for helping us. Click;

Last edited by photostill; 29-04-12 at 02:52.
photostill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photostill For This Useful Post:
FreaknDavid (28-04-12)