View Single Post
Old 20-02-22, 13:58   #115
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Update re: The ROYALS: Prince William & Kate Prep For Move & New School For Prince George

Prince Harry Cut Ties With Saudi Billionaire in Cash For Honours Row

Leaked emails show Prince Harry cut ties with billionaire in 'cash for access' row

Prince Harry distanced himself from Saudi billionaire Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz after he made certain "preconditions" around a £1million donation to an HIV charity, according to leaked messages

Daily Mail UK.20 FEB 2022.

Prince Harry distanced himself from Mahfouz in 2014 after he made preconditions around a £1m donation (Image: Mahfouz Foundation)

Prince Charles has said he is willing to speak to the police but has no knowledge of any such dealings...

Leaked emails have revealed that Prince Harry cut ties with a Saudi billionaire amid grave concerns about his "motives".

The Duke of Sussex made the mover years before the tycoon became wrapped up in a police enquiry which has engulfed the future king, Prince Charles.

Prince Charles and Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz have become joint subjects in a Metropolitan Police investigation after the Mahfouz donated £1.5million to the heir's charities, before receiving a CBE honour.

The force announced last week that it was launching the probe to investigate whether the honour was awarded in return for the cash.

But the Prince of Wales youngest son had already distanced himself from Mahfouz amid "cash for access" concerns in 2014, years before Charles accepted his generous donations.

This weekend detectives were examining a letter sent to Mahfouz’s representatives by Michael Fawcett, Charles’s longest-standing confidant and the former head of the Prince’s Foundation, in which Fawcett said he would be “very happy” to back the Saudi’s nomination for an honour, The Times reports.

Officers could also call in Clive Alderton, Charles' private secretary to understand whether the prince or Clarence House knew of these dealings between Fawcett and Mahfouz.

The Duke of Sussex was 30 when he expressed "major concerns" about Mahfouz and distanced himself just two years before his father awarded the tycoon with a CBE at a private ceremony in Buckingham Palace.

Charles, 73, had written to thank Mahfouz for his donations and visited him several times in both Britain and Saudi Arabia.

But the future king says he has “no knowledge” of any trade-off between donations and honours and that Harry’s apparent concerns were never shared with him.

Mahfouz has also denied any wrong-doing, while Fawcett, 59, Charles’s former valet, has been forced to quit his role at the Prince’s Foundation over the disclosures.

Charity watchdogs in England and Scotland have launched a joint investigation.

Scotland Yard began to look into the Prince of Wales' relationship with Mahfouz after a piece in the Sunday Times last year raised concerns about their dealings.

But the latest documents to be uncovered date back to 2014 when Prince Harry was seeking donations to Sentebale, a charity which helps children with HIV in Lethoso, southern Africa.

As charity co-founder, Harry had agreed to meet Mahfouz who was dangling a £1 million donation offer.

The donation was even drawn up in the draft charity accounts until Mahfouz suddenly announced a new 'precondition' of the offer.

Mahfouz’s representative told Mark Dyer, a Sentebale trustee and former royal equerry known as Harry’s “second dad”, that he wanted Harry to fly to the Saudi's home and meet his family before the funds were transferred.

Emails have shown there were serious concerns by royal aides about 'cash for access'

On May 31, 2014, Dyer, 54, sent the representative an email expressing his concern: “Are we really saying that if PH [Prince Harry] commits to a trip to Saudi, Sentebale will receive the donation?

“If that is the case I need to now brief the board as the accounts have all been revised and signed off on the back of receiving £1m donation.

“I am seeing PH today at Windsor; I will brief him on the situation and see if he now wants to commit to a trip, but this certainly was not our understanding . . . it is starting to bring into question ‘cash-for-access’.”

The same day, Mahfouz’s representative responded by insisting that the proposed Saudi visit had originally been mooted by Charles at the “CH meeting”, a gathering at Clarence House weeks earlier.

On that occasion, Charles was said by the Saudi's representative to have encouraged the idea of Harry visiting the Arab kingdom.

Harry appeared willing to do business with Mahfouz at the time and is even alleged to have joked: “Has father beaten me to it and got the money?”

On June 1, 2014, Dyer wrote back to Mahfouz’s fixer to say that he had spoken to the prince and had a “long chat” with his private secretary.

Dyer said: “There is a concern and we have to be very careful going forward.

"At no stage have we committed to a visit, we discussed maybe in the future meeting privately for a weekend on a boat.

“The POW [Prince of Wales] obviously mentioned it in passing conversation; that does not mean PH comes next week. He is keen for his son to see that part of the world, but not next week.

“What has now happened is a promise of a £1m donation but it now comes with a commitment to a visit ... that was not my understanding.

Prince Harry had distanced himself from the billionaire eight years ago

“I then discussed with PH and quite rightly he has a major concern that we are losing [sic] touch with what all this is about ... it’s not about M [Mahfouz] meeting PH and introducing him to his friends and [Mahfouz’s adviser] having as many photos as possible of PH on his desk... it's [sic] about the children of Lesotho and Sentebale making a difference to their lives.”

Dyer, who is a godfather to Harry’s son, Archie, continued: “There is a possibility of a visit to Saudi and if this happens PH will visit M, but to be held over a barrel, I think is wrong.

“It would be a real shame if this falls through and I think we need to start again and remember the first meeting with PH. What is now on the table is very different.”

Mahfouz continued to engage with Harry and gave at least £50,000 to Sentebale.

But neither the £1million donation nor the visit to Saudi Arabia became a reality.

Mahfouz instead increased his donations to charities connected to Charles after his aides made clear they would entertain the businessman’s desire for access.

In October 2014, Charles hosted Mahfouz for a weekend at Dumfries House, the royal residence in Ayrshire.

In 2015, they met at the British embassy in Riyadh and in 2016 Charles gave Mahfouz his CBE at Buckingham Palace.

The letter from Fawcett, now police evidence, shows that the donor was initially in line to receive an honorary OBE — but that the award was later upgraded.

Following a discussion on July 29, 2014, about potential donations worth up to £10million, Fawcett wrote to Mahfouz’s representative:

“With regard to supporting a nomination for an honorary OBE for His Excellency [Mahfouz], we would be very happy to send any such letter in due course outlining his philanthropy and ongoing generosity to the UK in heritage-led regeneration.

“I will come back to you when I have discovered more about the necessary process that needs to be followed.”

Fawcett is later alleged to have offered Mahfouz his backing to secure a knighthood and British citizenship, although these never transpired, The Times reports.

..................SHARKS are Closing in on TRUMP..........................

TRUMP WARNS; 'There'll Be a Bloodbath If I Don't Get Elected'..MAGA - MyAssGotArrested...IT's COMING

PLEASE HELP THIS SITE..Click DONATE
& Thanks to ALL Members of ... 1..

THIS SITE IS MORE THAN JUST WAREZ...& TO STOP SPAM-IF YOU WANT TO POST, YOUR FIRST POST MUST BE IN WELCOMES
Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote