View Single Post
Old 20-08-20, 22:33   #68
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Movies re: ISIS-Schoolgirls Were Beaten With Canes and Guns

Manchester UK Arena Bomber's Brother Jailed for Record 55 Years and Expected to Die in Prison

Homegrown ISIS-inspired terrorist Hashem Abedi acquired bomb components for his older brother Salman, who killed 22 and injured hundreds when he blew himself up after an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena

Daily Mirror UK, 20 AUG 2020.

The cowardly brother of the Manchester Arena suicide bomber has been jailed for at least 55 years - the highest minimum life term ever - for murdering 22 and injuring hundreds after an Ariana Grande concert.

ISIS supporter Hashem Abedi, 23, again hid in a cell at the Old Bailey and refused to face his victims' families in court as he was sentenced for helping his brother Salman to build the bomb.

The homegrown terrorist is expected to die in jail after being handed 24 life sentences following one of the largest murder cases in UK history. He will be in his late 70s when he is eligible for parole, but a judge said the mass murderer may never be freed.

There was anger as Judge Mr Justice Jeremy Baker was unable to hand out a whole-life sentence because the terrorist was under the age of 21 at the time of the "atrocious" crimes.

There were audible gasps from some families in court as Mr Justice Baker instead jailed the defendant for life on each of the 22 counts of murder, with a minimum of 55 years before parole.

Hashem Abedi, 23, was found guilty of murdering the 22 bombing victims (Image: PA)

The 22 victims of the May 2017 terror attack in Manchester (Image: PA)

The 22 people who were killed were: off-duty police officer Elaine McIver, 43, Saffie Roussos, eight, Sorrell Leczkowski, 14, Eilidh MacLeod, 14, Nell Jones, 14, Olivia Campbell-Hardy, 15, Megan Hurley, 15, Georgina Callander, 18, Chloe Rutherford, 17, Liam Curry, 19, Courtney Boyle, 19, Philip Tron, 32, John Atkinson, 28, Martyn Hett, 29, Kelly Brewster, 32, Angelika Klis, 39, Marcin Klis, 42, Michelle Kiss, 45, Alison Howe, 44, Lisa Lees, 43, Wendy Fawell, 50, and Jane Tweddle, 51.

The judge, who heard powerful testimony from the families of the victims during the two-day hearing, added: “The defendant should clearly understand the minimum term he should serve is 55 years. He may never be released.”

He ordered a copy of his sentencing remarks to be served on Abedi in his cell.

In March, the jihadi was found guilty by a jury of 22 counts of murder, attempted murder and plotting to cause an explosion likely to endanger life.

Manchester-born Abedi, whose parents came to the UK from Libya, helped source, buy, stockpile and transport components for Salman's bomb from January 2017, using multiple mobile phones, vehicles and addresses to stash the deadly materials. He was in Libya at the time of the attack, but was swiftly arrested.

Sentencing Hashem, the judge said the attack was carried out following "careful and considered" planning by the Abedi brothers, and there were a number of severe aggravating factors, including the fact that the brothers knew many of their victims would be "vulnerable" children and teenagers, the Manchester Evening News reported.

More than half of the victims were children and teenagers.

Abedi, of Fallowfield in south Manchester, was accused of showing "contempt" to the families of those he and his suicide bomber brother killed more than three years earlier by not coming into the dock.

Sentencing him on Thursday afternoon, the judge said: "Although Salman Abedi was directly responsible, it was clear the defendant took an integral part in the planning."

He added: "The motivation for them was to advance the ideology of Islamism, a matter distinct to and abhorrent to the vast majority for those who follow the Islamic faith.

"The defendant and his brother were equally culpable for the deaths and injuries caused.

"The stark reality is that these were atrocious crimes, large in their scale, deadly in their intent, and appalling in their consequences.

"The despair and desolation of the bereaved families has been palpable."

The judge added: “If the defendant, like his brother, had been 21 or over at the time of the offence, the appropriate starting point would have been a whole life order.

“Not only because of the combination of the significant degree of pre-meditation but also because the motivation for them was to advance the ideology of Islamism, a matter distinct to and abhorrent to the vast majority for those who follow the Islamic faith.”

Abedi has been given almost three years' credit for time served on remand in both Libya and the UK, meaning he will serve just over 52 years before he is eligible for release. He will have to convince the Parole Board he doesn't pose a threat to the public.

Bomber Salman Abedi is seen in CCTV footage from the night of the terror attack (Image: PA)

A woman leaving the Hilton Hotel in Manchester, where families of the victims had been watching a screening of the hearing at the Old Bailey in London, shouted to press as she left: “Two-and-a-half years for each murder he got.”

Following the final harrowing victim impact statements read out on Thursday, the judge praised the survivors and the victims, telling the courtroom: “I’m only too well aware that for those who have been intimately affected by the events at the Manchester Arena the re-living of both the circumstances surrounding those events and the death and injuries, are no doubt extraordinary painful to all of those who attended this court building or remote locations.

“Before I rise to finally consider my sentencing exercise, I would like to pay tribute to the tremendous dignity and courage of all those who have attended throughout the trial and in this sentencing hearing during this very difficult time.”

Abedi's older brother, 22-year-old Salman, detonated his suicide bomb at 10.31pm on May 22, 2017, killing 22 men, women and children aged between eight and 51.

The brothers joined their parents in Libya the month before the blast amid concerns the siblings were becoming radicalised, with Hashem remaining in the North African country.

What crimes have been reported in your neighbourhood? Check with In Your Area.

Salman returned to the UK on May 18. He bought the final components needed for the bomb, rented a flat in the city centre in which to build it, and carried out reconnaissance on the arena before finally executing the plot - the chilling final moments of which were caught on CCTV.

Hashem was arrested in Libya hours after the attack and was extradited back to Britain last summer, telling police he wanted to cooperate.

During his trial, jurors were shown disturbing CCTV footage of Salman travelling to the foyer of the arena, before detonating his bomb as crowds were leaving the pop concert.

Salman's body was later recovered in four parts.

Abedi refused to attend court on multiple occasions, having previously sacked his legal team and effectively withdrawing from the trial.

The judge had told the victims' families that he was powerless to force Abedi into the dock.

Hashem is seen holding a gun in a picture posted on Facebook

Earlier, survivor Michael Taylor described the impact of the blast on his family as his wife suffered bad shrapnel wounds, facial burns, and he lost the hearing in both ears.

In a written statement he told the court: "Emotionally we are not the same people as before the explosion and the fact someone who had no connection to us trying to kill us is very hard to comprehend.

"My wife cannot contemplate going to another concert when we used to go to five or six a year.

"A problem with the PA system at a wedding caused a loud bang and the nose made my wife jumpy and she became hysterical and we had to leave.

"I have a tremendous fear and guilt due to the injuries my wife suffered and that we got out alive when others did not survive. I feel guilty I didn't help more people.

"I fear future attacks and emotional trauma has hardened both me and my wife."

A silver Toyota car being driven by Hashem with his brother Salman next to him

Keith Walker told the court in a written statement how he also felt "unexplainable guilt" and flashbacks of the horrific bombing.

He added: "I cannot fully reconcile feelings that I could have done more and the feeling of helplessness following the explosion. I consider myself lucky to be alive...as I have only lost the hearing in my left ear."

Lesley Callander, whose 18-year-old daughter, Georgina died in the blast, asked for a photo of her to be shown to the court by prosecutor Jocelyn Ledward.

Grieving families also gave emotional evidence at the Old Bailey on Wednesday as the judge began the process of sentencing Abedi.

The court heard powerful statements from some of the victims' family members, who spoke of their devastating loss, their endless grief, and the gaping voids left by the massacre.

Survivors also recalled feeling guilty, for escaping the blast with their lives when others did not, and for instantly thinking the worst when they saw people wearing backpacks on public transport.

Hashem refused to answer questions when he was quizzed by Greater Manchester Police

Harriet Taylor paid tribute to her mother, Jane Tweddle, 51, a school receptionist who lived in Blackpool, and said evil would not triumph.

She said in a statement: "We simply will not let evil win. Evil is invisible, it has no face, no heart, no race.

"But what we have that evil never will have is love."

Michael Thompson, father of victim Michelle Kiss, 45, from Whalley in Lancashire, said: "We believe there is more good in the world than bad but unfortunately it only takes one bad person to devastate and destroy so many lives."

The mothers of teenage sweethearts Chloe Rutherford, 17, and Liam Curry, 19, also told of their devastation.

Lisa Rutherford said: "As a family we need answers, we are destroyed."

Ms Rutherford, who was supporting herself on crutches as she read her statement, said her "heart snapped" when she received a telephone call with the news that her daughter had died.

Salman in Manchester Arena moments before he detonated his bomb (Image: PA)

Wiping away tears, she said: "We are lost, we are devastated and we feel an overwhelming loss."

Ms Rutherford, who was supporting herself on crutches as she read her statement, said her "heart snapped" when she received a telephone call with the news that her daughter had died.

Caroline Curry held up a photo of her son and appeared to address some of her comments to the absent Abedi.

Addressing an empty dock on Wednesday, Ms Curry said: "You took from me something more precious than gold, a beautiful boy, inside and out.

"I want you to look at Liam and remember the beautiful boy that was snatched away.

"Your actions have caused this heartbreak. I just feel cheated. You took his future, my future, my family's future. All we have now is heartbreak and dreams of what if."

Charred clothing recovered after Salman Abedi set off his bomb on May 22, 2017 (Image: PA)

And Samantha Leczkowski, mother of Sorrell Leczkowski, 14, from Leeds, said her daughter's bedroom had been kept "untouched" since she died.

"I cannot bring myself to alter Sorrell's room," she said. "Losing one of my children has killed me, I may as well be dead."

A public inquiry into the bombing is scheduled to start next month.

After Thursday's sentencing, Mark Rutherford, on behalf of the families of his daughter Chloe Rutherford, 17, and her boyfriend Liam Curry, 19, said outside the court: “We would like to thank Mr Justice Barker for imposing the biggest sentence ever in these circumstances.”

He thanked the court, the jury, the police and the Crown Prosecution Service, while members of both families clutched photographs of their loved ones.

The family of victim Kelly Brewster said: "His sentence will never compare to the sentence we have to live for the rest of our lives without Kelly. One day he will be free but we will forever be broken.

Materials found in a Nissan Micra that was abandoned by the brothers (Image: PA)

"We wish to thank the CPS, Greater Manchester Police and the family liaison officers from both GMP & South Yorkshire Police who have supported us greatly over the last 3.5 years. Our family now welcomes the start of the public inquiry next month."

In Manchester, Paul Hett, father of victim Martyn Hett, 29, said: "First of all we have spent two days listening to harrowing details of lives that have been shattered, not just the 22, but hundreds of lives changed forever.

"Hashem Abedi did not even be man enough, he was a coward and did not come to court to hear how he had affected those people.

"He's now going to spend the rest of his life in jail, I'm sure because after the 55 years he was given, I'm sure the Parole Board which then has to make a decision, will ensure this coward never sees the light of day again."

Martyn's mum Figen Murray said: “We, alongside those who lost loved ones in the 2017 Manchester Arena attack, have waited for this day to come.

"Hashem Abedi has now faced justice for his crimes. He has deeply affected our lives and although we will never have time back with those we lost, we can now put this trial behind us and try to move forwards.

"Martyn was kind, vivacious, larger than life and we intend to carry on his legacy, wherever we go. On a personal note, my life completely changed due to the horrific crimes spoken of today and I channel my energy into speaking to young people across the country to spread messages of kindness and tolerance so that those who seek to divide us never win.

"As you can imagine, this is overwhelmingly emotional, but we want to thank our legal team and everyone who has supported us. We have a strong justice system here in the UK and it is comforting to know that those who break the law will be punished.

"Holding on to anger does not help the healing process, so my focus has been on trying to stop such violent acts from happening again, which is why I campaign for Martyn's Law, to better protect venues from being targeted."

A Nissan Micra abandoned by the Abedis was found to contain traces of homemade explosive TATP (Image: PA)

Victoria Higgins, lawyer for Slater and Gordon and acting on behalf of 12 of those killed in the arena bombing, said: "This is the end of one chapter for those affected by this terrible atrocity. The families have waited a long time to see this man brought to justice and facing a life sentence for his crimes.

"The next phase is about to begin for our clients with the start of the long-awaited public inquiry. We are glad to have the criminal process dealt with so we can now look towards getting the answers our clients desperately need and to better understand what happened, why it happened, what went wrong and how can we learn from this tragic event."

Boris Johnson said the jailing of Hashem Abedi for his role in the Manchester Arena bombing is "an opportunity to reflect on the importance of tolerance, community and kindness".

In a statement, the Prime Minister said: "The Manchester Arena attack was a horrifying and cowardly act of violence which targeted children and families.

"Those who were taken from us will never be forgotten, nor will the spirit of the people of Manchester who came together to send a clear message to the entire world that terrorists will never prevail.

"My thoughts remain with the survivors, and with the friends and families of victims, who have shown remarkable courage and dignity.

"I would also like to express my thanks to the police and all those who have worked tirelessly to deliver justice for the families.

"Today's sentencing is an opportunity to reflect on the importance of tolerance, community and kindness - values which are fundamental to our country, and which we saw in Manchester in the face of unimaginable tragedy."

Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted: "The terrorist attack at Manchester Arena inflicted unimaginable loss and suffering to victims and their families.

"Thanks to the efforts of our outstanding police and other partners - at home and abroad - justice has been delivered for them today."

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, said: "Today marks the end of a three-year quest for justice, following one of the worst terrorist attacks this country has seen, and one of the darkest days in our city’s history.

"Of course, for the families and friends of those twenty two souls whose lives were brutally cut short that night in May 2017, the pain will never fully diminish.

"I know that no sentence will ever make amends for their loss, nor the suffering of the more than 1,000 people injured – many seriously or left with deep psychological wounds – who continue to live with the effect of this cowardly attack.

"I can only hope it brings some small measure of comfort to them that Abedi will spend the vast majority of the rest of his life behind bars – where he belongs.

Inside the bomber's flat, where he built the bomb using components acquired by Hashem (Image: GMP)

"The division and hatred he sought to foster was, amidst the pain, met by strength and unity – by the courage of the victims’ families, the bravery of the survivors and the kindness and generosity of Greater Manchester as a whole.

"As we move forward from today I will choose to remember that enduring spirit – of a city galvanised against hatred that will never forget, nor fail to support those who continue to be affected."

He described the brothers as "cowardly" and "calculating murderers" who tried to divide society.

He added: "He (Hashem Abedi) showed that in his contempt for the court proceedings and by the end just not turning up.

"But they failed to do that because actually what that atrocity did do, as painful as it was for those that lost their loved ones and those injured, it brought everybody together.

"And it showed, it showed the world that we stood together here in Manchester in our darkest hour.

"And the fact that we've had this sentence and him brought to justice shows terrorists around the world, if you commit an atrocity in the UK we will do absolutely everything to make sure you stand trial here and are brought to justice."

Mr Hopkins said he and his colleagues would have liked to have seen Abedi receive a whole-life tariff - to remain in prison forever - but the judge was prevented from doing so because of the defendant's age at the time of the blast.

He added: "Others, at some stage many decades from now, may have to make a decision as to whether he ever gets released on licence."

But asked whether he expected Abedi to spend the rest of his life in prison as a result, Mr Hopkins replied: "I would suspect in all likelihood, yes."

Mr Hopkins told the Manchester Evening News the counter-terror investigation, dubbed Operation Manteline, remains "live" with more than 100 investigators still attached, and it won't be shut down any time soon.

The Manchester Arena bombing trial was the “largest murder case in English legal history”, Jenny Hopkins, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said.

She added: “The prosecution case was that Hashem Abedi effectively worked hand-in-hand with his brother as the bomber planned and carried out his deadly attack on that night in May 2017.

“Abedi will spend the next five decades behind bars where he can’t harm others. My thoughts remain with the families of those who died and the hundreds of survivors.”

Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham added: "The attack on the Manchester Arena, and the targeting of innocent children and families, was an act of pure evil.

"We said at the time that we would do whatever we could to ensure those responsible were brought to justice and it is a relief that it has finally happened.

"Today we think first of the families who lost loved-ones and everyone whose lives were changed forever by this appalling crime.

"We know today will be yet another difficult day for them and we will continue to support them in any we can, but we hope the fact that someone has at last been held accountable will bring a degree of comfort and resolution.

"On behalf of everyone affected by the events of May 22, 2017, I want to thank our own police force – Greater Manchester Police – for the way in which every officer from the Chief Constable downwards responded to this attack, in the outstanding care and support given to bereaved families, and in the highly professional and painstaking investigation which has secured this conviction.

"The investigation team, led by ACC Russ Jackson and DCS Simon Barraclough, has done an outstanding job, particularly in overcoming the many complexities thrown up by the extradition process, and we are hugely grateful to them all, as we are to the Government, and in particular to the Defence Secretary for the support he provided.

"This attack on our city and everything it represents caused untold misery.

"But ultimately it failed. It was meant to divide us but it only brought us closer together.

"And now one of those responsible is behind bars.

"So today is a day when our city and its people can take another step forward on the road to recovery from May 2017 and mark an important victory in the fight against hate, violence and terrorism.”

..................SHARKS are Closing in on TRUMP..........................

TRUMP WARNS; 'There'll Be a Bloodbath If I Don't Get Elected'..MAGA - MyAssGotArrested...IT's COMING

PLEASE HELP THIS SITE..Click DONATE
& Thanks to ALL Members of ... 1..

THIS SITE IS MORE THAN JUST WAREZ...& TO STOP SPAM-IF YOU WANT TO POST, YOUR FIRST POST MUST BE IN WELCOMES
Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote