View Single Post
Old 19-07-20, 10:57   #8
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Movies re: DISGRACEFUL Boris -NO Pay Rise for HERO Nurses & Healthcare Staff

Queen's Sweet Words to Captain Tom Moore as She Knights Him in Unique Service. He Raised £33mil for NHS

19 Jul 2020 The Telegraph UK

The Queen carried out her first official royal duty since lockdown when she knighted Sir Tom Moore at Windsor Castle, just hours after attending Princess Beatrice's secret wedding

The Queen thanked fundraising hero Sir Tom Moore for his incredible work as she knighted him during a special investiture at Windsor Castle.

In her first engagement since lockdown was introduced, the Monarch handed the war veteran his well-deserved medal.

The 100-year-old became a national hero during the Covid-19 pandemic when he raised a record sum of £33million by walking 100 laps of his garden with the aid of a walking frame.

His fundraiser touched the hearts of Brits everywhere and inspired people across the globe, resulting in Prime Minister Boris Johnson nominating Sir Tom for the award.

During the unique ceremony today, which took place outside to lower coronavirus risk, the Queen and Sir Tom exchanged a few words.

The Monarch said: “Thank you so much. An amazing amount of money you raised”

“A hundred is a great age.

“Anyway it’s a nice day. Best of luck to you.”

She also called his family forward and chatted to them before returning to the castle.

The Queen used a sword that belonged to her father, George VI, for the ceremony and presented him with the insignia of Knight Bachelor.

His family joined him for the occasion (Image: Getty Images)

Other investitures have been postponed because of the coronavirus, along with all of the Queen's face-to-face engagements.

There was no extravagant wedding like Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank (Image: Getty)

The Queen's first engagement came on the same day she watched her granddaughter Princess Beatrice marry her fiance Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi.

The Queen, 94, and Prince Philip, 99, were among a small group of close family and friends who attended the intimate ceremony at All Saints Chapel, Windsor Great Park, this morning.

The Queen smiled as she thanked him for his hard work (Image: Getty Images)

Sir Tom proudly poses with the insignia of Knight Bachelor (Image: Getty Images)

The Queen left promptly after the ceremony as she wanted to get back to get ready to present Captain Moore with his knighthood.

Speaking about his knighthood, Sir Tom tweeted: "I could never have imagined this would happen to me.

"It is such a huge honour and I am very much looking forward to meeting Her Majesty The Queen. It is going to be the most special of days for me."

Queen Elizabeth II poses after awarding Captain Sir Thomas Moore with the insignia of Knight Bachelor (Image: Getty Images)

The ceremony took place entirely within the confines of Windsor Castle, with no viewing positions for the public.

Members of the public were asked not to attend Windsor town centre or gather in the hope of seeing any of the ceremony, which will not be visible from any external viewpoint.

Captain Tom had set out to raise £1,000, but his incredible gesture won him fans around the world and saw his fundraising efforts soar.

In honour of his incredible achievement, he was given a flypast on his 100th birthday.

Captain Tom also became the oldest person to ever score a UK Number One single with his rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone, recorded with Michael Ball and the NHS Voices Of Care Choir.

And his incredible efforts saw him awarded a special Pride Of Britain award.

Captain Tom said the response to his charitable efforts had been "outstanding".

He said: "It's hard to describe there's been so much kindness shown and so many people making kind remarks.

"It really is outstanding, I never anticipated in my life anything like this. It really is amazing.

"I really must say to everyone thank you very much to everyone wherever you are."

..................SHARKS are Closing in on TRUMP..........................

TRUMP WARNS; 'There'll Be a Bloodbath If I Don't Get Elected'..MAGA - MyAssGotArrested...IT's COMING

PLEASE HELP THIS SITE..Click DONATE
& Thanks to ALL Members of ... 1..

THIS SITE IS MORE THAN JUST WAREZ...& TO STOP SPAM-IF YOU WANT TO POST, YOUR FIRST POST MUST BE IN WELCOMES
Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote