View Single Post
Old 18-04-20, 20:45   #4
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Movies re: WAR HERO/POPSTAR Captain Tom's Single Raises £23mil for NHS >You'll Never Walk Alone

You'll Never Walk Alone: Captain Tom Moore's Charity Single with Michael Ball Goes Straight to Top of iTunes - Pipping Vera Lynn - as Hero's Fundraising Passes £23million

Fundraising hero Capt Tom Moore's charity song has shot to top of iTunes chart
  • He collaborated with singer Michael Ball for a version of You'll Never Walk Alone
  • It narrowly pipped Vera Lynn's stirring rendition of We'll Meet Again to top spot
  • Capt Moore has raised over £23million for the NHS, despite aiming for £1,000

Daily Mail UK, 18 APR 2020

The 99-year-old war veteran is raising millions for NHS Charities Together amid the coronavirus pandemic, after initially expecting to raise just £1,000 by completing 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday

Captain Tom Moore's charity single has gone straight to the top of the UK iTunes chart as the hero's fundraising total passed a staggering £23million.

The 99-year-old war veteran collaborated with singer Michael Ball for a heartwarming version of You'll Never Walk Alone.
It has narrowly pipped Vera Lynn's stirring rendition of We'll Meet Again to the top spot.

Capt Moore's (pictured) single has narrowly pipped Vera Lynn's stirring rendition of We'll Meet Again to the top spot

Capt Tom has been raising money for NHS Charities Together to help frontline medics battle the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed 14,576 in the UK.

He initially expected to raise £1,000 by completing 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

He finished the walk ahead of schedule on Thursday - after starting out on 13 April - and has seen more than a million donors help the fundraiser soar past £23million.

After capturing the hearts of the nation, Capt Tom joined forces with Ball to create their own uplifting version of You'll Never Walk Alone.

The pair recorded the duet of the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein tune, which has become an anthem for medical staff during the pandemic, featuring the NHS Voices of Care Choir.

The song was instigated after Ball spoke to Captain Tom on BBC Breakfast and was recorded within 24 hours

The track has a spoken work introduction from Capt Moore, where he says: 'Hold your head up high and don't be afraid of the dark.'

It has already climbed to the top of the iTunes chart ahead of the Second World War veteran's 100th birthday on 30 April

Originally from Keighley in West Yorkshire, Captain Moore trained as a civil engineer before enlisting in the Army for the Second World War, rising to captain and serving in India and Burma

Robert Jenrick says Captain Tom Moore Will be Guest of Honour at opening of 3rd Nightingale Hospital

Second World War hero Captain Tom Moore will be the guest of honour when the new NHS Nightingale Hospital for the Yorkshire region is opened in Harrogate next week.

The 99-year-old's bid to raise money for the NHS by walking laps of his garden hit £23 million this afternoon - less than two weeks after he started the challenge.

Mr Jenrick thanked Captain Moore for his fundraising efforts for the NHS, stating: 'We have all been humbled by the gestures, large and small, by people across the country to show support for those working so hard to protect the NHS and save lives.

'None more so than Captain Tom Moore, who has raised an astonishing £23 million this week for NHS charities.

'I can't think of a more worthy person to be the guest of honour at the opening of the new Nightingale Hospital in Harrogate next week.'

The country has taken to the war veteran, with this sign in Piccadilly Circus in central London congratulating him

Quote:

How Captain Tom and Michael Ball pulled a hit record together in 24 hours

After being inspired by Captain Tom's outstanding charitable efforts, Michael Ball devised a plan.

'That was the exact moment I got the idea. I was listening to him (Captain Tom) mouthing along to it – and singing along to it – and I said "ah Tom we should make it a duet,"' Ball explained.
'But I came off air and thought, well I have got a few minutes... let's see if we can do this.'

Captain Tom's words on BBC Breakfast were quickly edited into place, as Ball and the backing choir went about providing the foundations for the iconic track.

Ball continued: 'So I made some calls – called my record producer. 'I had the idea the NHS voices of care could form the background voices for us.

'Crucial though was talking to Tom and to (his daughter) Hannah.'

Using the plentiful time provided by lockdown restrictions, Ball and his producers quickly got to work on the track and brought the creation to life.

The track was recorded in different segments from various locations due to people remaining at home. It was then stitched together by producers and smoothed out to create the finished product.

Capt Tom said:
'I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would be releasing a single with Michael Ball, but I also never thought it possible for me to walk in the garden and raise millions.
'So why not sing, spread some cheer and again - raise money for our national heroes. NHS this one is for you!'

From Yorkshire to India: Captain Tom Moore's Career in The Military

Captain Tom Moore was conscripted into the British Army in June 1940 when he was 20, alongside all men aged 20 to 35.

He began his military career in Otley, West Yorkshire, where he joined the 8th Battalion, the Duke of Wellington's Regiment under Lieutenant Lord George Saville.

The Regiment was sent to train in Wadebridge, Cornwall where they were tasked with coastal defence amid a predicted German invasion.

A young Captain Moore was soon promoted to Corporal and sent to the officer cadet training unit in Droitwich Spa.

Here, he celebrated his 21st birthday after he passed as a Second Lieutenant.

In August 1941, he was sent to the DWR headquarters in Halifax where he joined the 9th Battalion at Winchcombe.

The infantry battalion then converted to an armoured regiment 146th Royal Armoured Corp, though the majority of the soldiers could not drive.

In October, the unit was posted to Bombay, now Mumbai, in India.

The journey took six weeks by sea, with a four-day delay in Freetown, Sierra Leone and a four-day stop in Cape Town.

Captain Moore then took a train from Bombay to Poona, before arriving at Kirkee, a town now known as Khadki.

The 9th DWR formed the 50th Indian Tank Brigade under the command of Brigadier Schreiber.

Captain Moore was then asked by the Brigadier to start a motorcycling course for the Brigade due to his expertise for the sport.

The Brigade was then ordered to move to Calcutta - the road journey was in a monsoon and took three weeks.

His Battalion was stationed in the Lohardaga district near Ranchi.
They then took part in two exercises in the Arakan before moving further east and south to Rangoon.

Captain Moore was then sent on a course at the approved vehicle depot in Bovington, England.
He remained here as an instructor until it was closed.

You'll Never Walk Alone - Captain Tom Moore, Michael Ball & The NHS Voices of Care Choir

..................SHARKS are Closing in on TRUMP..........................

TRUMP WARNS; 'There'll Be a Bloodbath If I Don't Get Elected'..MAGA - MyAssGotArrested...IT's COMING

PLEASE HELP THIS SITE..Click DONATE
& Thanks to ALL Members of ... 1..

THIS SITE IS MORE THAN JUST WAREZ...& TO STOP SPAM-IF YOU WANT TO POST, YOUR FIRST POST MUST BE IN WELCOMES
Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote