View Single Post
Old 11-10-15, 01:14   #23
jenkins4
Official Site Uploader & TECH ADVISOR

Thanked 2,765 Times in 2,102 Posts
jenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond reputejenkins4 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 4

Default Re: MSoft. W7/8/10 SPYING On Pirates =FIX/ RESOLUTION

UPDATE TO, AND “FIX” WIN 10, How-to, the manual version

UPDATE TO, AND “FIX” WIN 10

You do not need the “Get Windows 10” KB3035583 update installed. Save the download bandwidth! (Or uninstall it from Programs and Features in Control Panel). Instead, go to: /https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the Media Creation Tool. From there, you can create a 32-bit or 64-bit iso for virtual drive mounting, or making a DVD. Or if you have several machines to do, and some have no dvd drive, a flash drive can be built (I chose the combination 32/64-bit combo bootable flash install). If that doesn’t work for any reason and you have an iso, get Rufus (there’s a portable version as well) from /http://rufus.akeo.ie/. It is brilliant and free!

I upgraded several machines via the online option, and many more with the flash drive. Both take an hour or so to complete, with the emphasis on the speed of your connection and obtaining the ~4 GB of files needed.

Either way, the upgrade can start from within Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 by clicking on the “setup” icon within the file structure, or by booting from the dvd or flash drive. You will need about 20 Gb of free space on the hard drive “C” for this to work. No worry here, Win 10 cleans up its temporary files, but will leave a Windows.old folder and a hidden folder called $Windows.~WS which holds the install files. Back up your personal files, even if you are choosing the option to save everything - files, installed apps, and settings.

I have upgrade installs on fairly new machines, one a custom built Win 8.1 I7 desktop with UEFI bios, 16 GB of DDR and a 250 GB SSD, through 3-5 year old Dells and HP’s with Win 7SP1 (one HP started as an XP box), down to my 5-year-old minimalist Acer Aspire netbook with a dual core 1.3 GHz Atom, 2 GB of ram, and a 40 GB SSD. All told, about 20 so far, and looking at 15 ASUS Slates at work in the next couple of weeks. I upgraded the first of these Slates this weekend, and it presented the only different step in what is nearly a hands-off process. It stopped and asked me to remove the flash drive so it would not hang and keep trying to boot from the flash drive after the formal setup started.

Let’s install and “fix” this new OS.

First, unless you really want to use the One Drive cloud storage, do not create a Micro$haft account. Use a local account - if your original user account is local, it will remain that way. One page at the beginning of the install asks that Express Settings be used. Don’t. Find the barely highlighted manual settings and uncheck everything except “smart screen filter”. Uncheck it as well if you do not want Micro$haft watching your surfing with IE and Edge. Or install Firefox or Chrome and ignore the built-ins.

Now let it do it’s circle dance. It will reboot a couple of times.

Once it is finished (the normal yadda yadda of setting things up at the end) you will begin on a generic start/login screen with your user account name, and a blank to enter your password (if you had one on the previous account login). If you had no password, it will continue on to the desktop.

The Win 10 desktop is pretty straight forward, mostly blank except for the recycle bin (unless you carried over your settings). If you carried settings, all icons and folders should be right where you left them. The Start button is back, sort of - a white window in the lower left corner. There you will find a fairly standard set of links and commands, and also a leftover from Win 8, live tiles. You can turn these off or change the size, and even uninstall the associated app, all from the right-click. All installed programs are shown in an alphabetical list under “All Apps”. Most used and recently installed are shown at the top of the left side list, and pinned “placeholders” are on a jump list shown from the arrow at File Explorer. Also back is a real Power button. The Start Menu can be resized, dragged up and to the left or right.

The real customizing comes under the Settings icon, accessed both from the Start Menu, and also from the right side notifications pop-up dialog box. Much of the Control Panel is now in these Settings folders, though some functions overlap. Pundits believe that eventually most if not all of the Control Panel will be moved to Settings over time. You can still easily get to the Control Panel through an Explorer window if you check, “Show all folders” in Folder Options (in Windows 10 click on View -> Options -> Change folder and search options. Then click the View tab and under Advanced settings, scroll down to the bottom and under Navigation Pane check “Show all folders”). Or enable Control Panel on the desktop via Personalization settings – see below.

Open Settings, and here’s a list of the multitude of things to “turn off”.

Under System:

Notifications & actions - turn them all off - it’s bad enough that our phones annoy us all day long.

Multitasking - leave all alone - the window snapping is very handy.

Tablet mode - normally off if a keyboard is detected, turn on if you have a tablet-style laptop or something like my ASUS Slates. Other settings while using as a tablet are available including hiding the taskbar and icons. I leave that off.

Power and Sleep - standard settings like the Control Panel for screen blanking and sleep, and the Additional power settings brings up the regular Control Panel power settings.

Storage - shows the options of storing new data to the computer, or to the cloud One Drive. Change as needed. It will also choose flash drives, external hard drives, and memory cards, if plugged in and listed.

Offline Maps - something new, a Bing-based application. I don’t use this, so I turn it off.

Default Apps - all standard apps are by default the new tiled “modern” apps. These can be changed to defer to the programs you like to use. In the case of photos, the original Windows Photo Viewer should still be there in an upgrade, and has more options than the new one. Editing programs, such as Paint, Photoshop, Corel, and others all install correctly and will show as options. For music and videos, players such as VLC and Media Player Classic work well, and install without problems. Win 10 hides Internet Explorer in favor of Edge, or your other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox. Change to what you want as the primary.

Under Devices:

Printers & scanners - just like the Control Panel, except an added button for deferring downloading drivers and apps over metered connections (hotel room, etc.)

Bluetooth - has more settings than previously shown in Win 7 or Win 8. Check and use as needed, or turn off.

Connected devices - shows monitors, speakers, microphone, etc.

Mouse & touchpad - mostly the same as previous versions.

Typing - adds a new set of controls - spelling, text suggestions, spacing, and auto-punctuation, for both physical and touch keyboards. Set as you feel you need.

Pen - shown on all installs, touch or standard. Set as needed, turn off if no touch exists. Doesn’t show on a VM install!

AutoPlay - set the default actions for inserted flash drives and memory cards. I like “open folder to view files”, but safer is “ask me every time”…

Under Network and Internet:

This combines several functions from the Control Panel. The important one is Manage Wi-Fi Settings. I suggest turning off “Connect to suggested open hotspots”. If you disabled everything in “Express Settings” Wi-Fi Sense will be turned off - this is a major sticking point right now - your Wi-Fi security settings and passwords are shared with anyone whom you network with - Facebook, Twitter, all the social places. Turn it off. Without a Micro$haft account, this is greyed out. In an upgrade setup, all previous wireless connections show here as well, with options to manage.

Data Usage is handy - it shows you how much traffic, wired and wireless, you use each month.

VPN, Dial-up and Proxy are as before.

Under Personalization:

Background, Colors, Lock Screen, Themes, and Start as before, but with some confusing listings. Screen timeout and Screen saver settings are under Lock Screen. Advanced sound, Desktop icons, and Mouse pointer are under Themes. Start lets you add the standard folders to the Start menu.

Under Accounts:

Disable “Sync your settings” unless you are using One Drive.

Under Time & language:

Very similar previous versions, with one addition - Speech. Accents and two default voices now are standard.

Under Ease of Access:

Narrator, Magnifier, High contrast, Closed captions, Keyboard, Mouse are somewhat enhanced. Adjust as needed.

Other options adds new Touch feedback settings, one which is handy for presentations.

Under Privacy:

It’s a big black hole. I turn off nearly everything except access for Voice recorder and Calendar. Look into every link and window. There are a bunch of things here that do not need to run. I turn off Feedback and set Diagnostic data to basic.

Background apps - I turn off everything except Alarms and Clock and Calendar. Xbox is here - use if you want. Remember, it too calls home, and may require other things to be enabled.

Under Update & security:

Windows Update is replaced here, and there are not a lot of options. Go to “Advanced options” and “Choose how updates are delivered” and uncheck the “Updates from more than one place”. This causes all updates to come from Micro$haft only, and not from a P-to-P or torrent cloud, which WILL eat up bandwidth without telling you. Also set “Install updates” to the middle of the night so it won’t interrupt you. It’s basically now impossible to customize updates like we used to be able to.
------------------------------------
If all of the differences annoy the crap out of you, do these changes, then get a copy of Start10 from Stardock and install it to override a lot of the stock Start settings and make things act “normal”. Another alternative is the free Classic Shell (classicshell.net).

If you like Win 10, and want to keep going with it, go to the All Apps -> Windows Administrative Tools -> Disk Cleanup and run it, including Clean Up System Files. Check everything. It will remove the 30-day rollback to your previous OS, plus all the other junk from the setup and all the previous OS files. I shrank the ASUS Slate install to 1/2 of its first installed size. I noticed similar drive space savings on several other upgraded rigs.
-------------------------------------

Last edited by jenkins4; 12-10-15 at 21:29.
jenkins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenkins4 For This Useful Post:
BaZZa101 (12-10-15), Ladybbird (14-10-15)