View Single Post
Old 04-08-15, 02:53   #1
Tarfoot
Honoured Member

Thanked 1,106 Times in 991 Posts
Tarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal Bronze Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 5

Default Attacking God’s Word

Attacking God’s Word
By Grant Phillips
“Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight.” Isaiah 5:20-21 (NIV)
It is alarming to see, on a daily basis, the comments from people that are in direct conflict with what God says in His Word, the Bible. These comments can be read in newspapers, magazines, and web sites by the multiplied dozens. For example, when reading comments from people on social media sites, I am stupefied by what comes from the minds of ordinary folks. I ask myself, “Do they really think that? What is wrong?”
People who are not homosexual will still defend the sin of homosexuality. Those who give birth instead of opting for an abortion will yet defend the so called right of others to abort (murder) their children from the womb of the mother. Those who have no desire to be the opposite sex will still defend and applaud the “bravery” of those who go for a “sex change.”
These are only three examples of hundreds of sins that we as a society accept as normal and none of God’s business. Many in society now don’t bother with saying it is none of God’s business. That was yesterday. Today, they have taken a new route of approval. They insist that God is in complete approval of their actions, and the rest of us are just cold hearted and need to shut up and wise up.
People I know, who I would have never dreamed, who are kindred, go along with the tripe that society is spewing out every single day. Many are faithful church attenders.
All this reminded me of Satan’s temptation of Eve. Adam and Eve were good people. Think about it. They didn’t hang out at the local saloon. There weren’t any saloons. The world was perfect. They had no sin. They were in perfect agreement with God’s Word up to that point. They didn’t call evil good and good evil. They didn’t choose darkness for light and light for darkness. They didn’t put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. They were not the neighbors from hell. They were really good people, but then something happened. Eve was deceived because she listened to Satan.
Society today is doing the same thing that Eve did in the Garden of Eden. We are listening to Satan, but we are not like Eve; that is, without sin. We are full of sin, and we joyfully want to hear what he has to say because he is saying what we want to hear.
“For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4 (NIV)
The conversation between Satan and Eve is found in Genesis three beginning at verse one.
“Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’” “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.” Genesis 3:1-7 (NIV)
Satan has gone fishing. First, he baits the hook and casts the line out into the water. The fish is attracted by the bait and takes a nibble. At the right time, the fish is hooked. Once it is reeled in, it becomes dinner. Let’s see how this happened.
Satan’s ultimate goal is to get Eve to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. So he baits the hook.
Satan: Has God said you can’t eat of any tree in the garden?
Eve: God said we can eat of any tree except the one in the middle of the garden. We can’t even touch it, or we’ll die.
Now he has her thinking about it. The hook has been baited. The line has been cast. So he comes back with;
Satan: Oh, you won’t die! Look at it! It’s beautiful, and I’ll bet it is delicious!
Eve: It sure looks good and yummy. It won’t hurt to just taste it (nibble).
Satan sets the hook and reels her in.
Eve: Uh Oh! I don’t feel right. Why, I’m naked! I can’t walk around like this in public, knowing I’m the only one buck naked! Oh Adam! Sweetie! Taste this.
Adam: “Yes Dear.”
Satan first caused doubt. Then he introduced desire. Then desire led to denial of the truth. Then participation with sin caused death.
God didn’t say they could not touch the fruit of the tree. (By the way, the Bible says absolutely nothing about the fruit being an apple. We don’t know what it was.) It is not a sin to be tempted. Apparently, they could look at it and touch it. He told them to not eat of the fruit. Eating the fruit was sin because it was rebellion against God’s Word.
We today are falling under the same hypnotic spell that Eve was pulled into by Satan. We first question God’s Word. We add our two cents to it. Finally, the fruit of sin is so desirable; we simply reject what He has to say since it interferes with our desires. We ignore the Word because it convicts us. Out of sight, out of mind.
Let us go back to Satan and Eve’s conversation and notice one more thing. Look in verse five. Satan tells Eve that their eyes will be opened and they will be like God, knowing good and evil. There is the crux of the problem.
We today do not want anyone telling us what we can or cannot do. We want to be our own god. We think we are gods, knowing good and evil. We think we know more than God and He, if He actually exists, is so full of love, He would never really do anything anyway. He just cries and smiles all the time and we can deal with that.
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people -- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Tarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote