View Single Post
Old 06-05-14, 16:47   #1
FreaknDavid

Thanked 7,261 Times in 4,751 Posts
FreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond reputeFreaknDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Gold Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 5

Music Today`s History in Rock-May 6

May Sixth Featured Artist

Resulting from some ‘night moves” nine months earlier, Bob Seger is born. 1945

1940's

One-time Foghat keyboardist, Colin Earl, is born. He's also known as a founding member of Mungo Jerry ("In the Summertime"). 1942

1960's

Tony Scalzo is born in Honolulu. The songwriter is one of Fastball’s founding members. 1964

ITV presents Around The Beatles. Yes, The Beatles perform but so do a lot of other acts. 1964

James Brown rolls into Criteria Studios in Miami and comes out with "I Got You (I Feel Good)." 1965

Also in Florida, this time at a Clearwater hotel room, Keith Richards comes up with the “Satisfaction” riff. The Rolling Stones are on tour and an exhausted Richards is noodling around on his guitar. The riff powers one of the ‘60s best songs - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." 1965

Guitarist Mark Bryan (Hootie & The Blowfish) has a birthday. 1967

1970's

Guitarist Christopher Aubrey "Chris" Shiflett is born in Santa Barbara, CA. His first Foo Fighters album is the '02 release, “One By One” (the group’s fourth studio effort). 1971

Ike & Tina Turner earn their only gold record for their cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Proud Mary.” 1971

With over 72-thousand in the Pontiac Silverdome, Led Zeppelin breaks its own attendance record for a single-act concert. 1977

1990's

Weezer issue their self-titled debut (aka “Blue Album”). The set has "Undone - The Sweater Song", "Buddy Holly" and "Say It Ain't So.” 1994

Pearl Jam begins slugging it out with Ticketmaster over concert prices and other concert related issues. The effort gets the Justice Department involved but nothing much changes. 1994

For the first time the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is held in Cleveland (rather than at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York), the home of the Hall’s museum. Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills & Nash and the (Young) Rascals enter the Hall. Though hardly Rock, Parliament/Funkadelic also gets the nod. That’s acceptable but the inclusion of the Jackson 5 and the Bee Gees isn’t. 1997

The Band’s Rick Danko is arrested in Tokyo for heroin possession. He claims it’s all a misunderstanding. He says his wife shipped the package containing the drug after he asked her to send him “medication.” 1997

2000's

Blur’s “Think Tank” album is in stores. 2003

Wakefield’s “American Made” CD is released. 2003

KoRn frontman Jonathan Davis appears as a crack dealer in the romantic comedy “Seeing Other People,” which stars Jay Mohr and Julianne Nicholson. The film makes its premiere in Beverly Hills, CA. Limited national release follows the next day. 2004

John Lennon memorabilia is auctioned by Christie's. Lennon art work, a Vox Kensington guitar and a leather collar are sold. The total value exceeds $400,000. 2004

Pearl Jam allows "Yellow Ledbetter" to be played during a scene in the final episode of "Friends." It's the first time Pearl Jam licenses a song for a TV show. 2004

Audioslave is the first U.S. rock group ever to stage an outdoor concert in Cuba. An estimated 50,000 attend a free gig in Havana. Audioslave then travels around the island meeting musicians and young people. 2005

Doctors determine that Ozzy Osbourne is suffering from Parkin Syndrome, a genetic disorder that attacks the central nervous system causing involuntary shaking. It's a type of early-onset Parkinson disease. Ozzy is put on daily meds to treat the ailment. "I'd always assumed it was the booze and stuff," Osbourne says. 2005

Green Day nabs the Favorite Rock Act trophy at the MTV Asia Awards. KoRn’s "Twisted Transistor" nails the Favorite Video category. 2006

Sting is presented an honorary Doctor of Music degree by England's Newcastle University. The institution hands out special degrees annually to individuals who "have achieved successes that are an inspiration." 2006

A memorial stone in honor of the late AC/DC frontman Bon Scott (who passed away in '80) is unveiled in his birthplace of Kirriemuir, Scotland. "The whole community has been quite behind this," says the chairman of the town's community council. 2006

Alex Turner’s (Arctic Monkeys) side project, The Last Shadow Puppets, issue their debut album “The Age Of Understatement.” 2008

“Scream,” from Tokio Hotel, rolls out. 2008

The Police join New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg in Times Square to announce that their last concert ever will take place in the Big Apple during the coming summer. Also, the band vows to donate $1 million to support MillionTreesNYC, an initiative to plant trees throughout the city. After all that there’s only one thing left to do. The Police are presented the key to the city. 2008

Neil Young participates in the keynote address at the JavaOne computer-programming conference in San Francisco. He joins executives from Sun Microsystems to announce plans to release his long-awaited archival box set via the Blu-ray format, fueled by Java technology. The interactive set offers music, movies, videos and photographs. 2008

Bob Dylan's “Together Through Life” debuts at #1 on the Billboard 200, moving about 125,000 copies during its first week of release. It’s Dylan’s second consecutive studio effort to top the chart, following ‘06's "Modern Times," and the fifth #1 of his career. 2009

The video for U2's “No Line On The Horizon” single, "Magnificent," debuts on the band's website. Directed by Alex Courtez, the clip features the U2 performing in and walking through the streets of Fez, Morocco. 2009

Slash puts some life into American Idol playing a rendition of Alice Cooper’s "School’s Out" with the four finalists. The ex-Guns N’ Roses/Velvet Revolver guitarist also serves as the week’s music mentor. 2009

An autographed $60,000 Steinway baby grand piano donated by Billy Joel is auctioned online to benefit music students at the Mount Carmel-Holy Rosary School of Manhattan. The school's music program is supported by Ten O'Clock Classics, a nonprofit organization that provides free lessons and instruments to Catholic-school students. Joel is a Ten O’ Clock board member. 2009

2010's

Bullet For My Valentine’s “Fever” is #1 Billboard's Hard Rock Albums chart moving 71,000 copies in its first week. It’s #3 on the Billboard 200. 2010

U2 is #2 in a Harris poll of America's favorite musical artists. Pop-wailer Celine Dion tops the list. Elvis Presley and The Beatles are tied at #3. The poll of 2,320 adults was conducted the previous March by Harris Interactive. 2010

A segment of the FOX science fiction show Fringe is broadcast with a score composed by Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready. "I wasn't a huge fan of the show at first — but now I totally am," says McCready. 2010

Jason Newsted's first art exhibition opens at San Francisco's Micaëla Gallery. “My purpose has shifted from making crazy and colorful music, to making crazy and colorful paintings," says the former Metallica bassist (’86-’01). "I remain as disciplined, self-motivated, and dedicated to my art, as I have been." 2010

Bruce Springsteen teams up with former Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky to give students at New Jersey's Fairleigh Dickinson University a glimpse into the creative process. They share their thoughts on writing before a crowd of 400. "You react to your own history; you can't help it," says Springsteen. 2010

Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) presents the Stevie Ray Vaughan award to Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan at the seventh annual MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert in L.A. Gahan, a former heroin addict, almost died a handful of times during the ‘90s. Vans Warped Tour founder Kevin Lyman is also honored. Paramore and Jane’s Addiction are among the performers. Proceeds benefit the MusiCares MAP Fund, which provides members of the music community access to addiction recovery treatment regardless of their financial situation. 2011

An episode of the TV show Mad Men features The Beatles’ “Tomorrow Never Knows.” The show, which is set in the '60's, pays $250,000 to use the song. "It was always my feeling that the show lacked a certain authenticity because we never could have an actual master recording of The Beatles performing," says show creator Matthew Weiner. 2012

Bush's “Machinehead” is named the Ultimate Workout Song Of 2013 in Gold Gym's March Music Madness Battle of the Bands tournament (which obviously extended into May). Gym members voted from a pool of 64 songs. "Machinehead" received 40,000 votes. 2013

Lenny Kravitz appears in a PSA in support of the United Nations Children's Fund. Their mission is to stop preventable child deaths. Kravitz states that UNICEF's immunization program, if appropriately supported, can help save the lives of 6.9 million children per year. 2013

Guitarist Joe Satriani’s "Strange Beautiful Music: A Musical Memoir,” is in bookstores. "I'm excited for my fans to get a deeper look inside my creative process in the studio and the stories behind the songs," says Satriani. The forward is by legendary Queen lead guitarist Brain May. 2014

(BOBBYORR)

You Can Help the site If You Donate, Please Click Here: DONATE

Thank You For Your Support & Membership To DTD1.

FreaknDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FreaknDavid For This Useful Post:
Ladybbird (11-05-14)