View Single Post
Old 21-01-13, 08:46   #1
pop
Official Site Mascot/Moderator

Thanked 1,002 Times in 636 Posts
pop has much to be proud ofpop has much to be proud ofpop has much to be proud ofpop has much to be proud ofpop has much to be proud ofpop has much to be proud ofpop has much to be proud ofpop has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal 
Total Awards: 1

Arrow Right Email scam from websites to you

My mum had a scam emailed to all the members of her church website, but she didn't know much about the webhost but its a paid one, Thats all I know as she isn't tech savy, like me, but I know a wrong number at least. LOL, but it still caught a few out Not the I am a member off.

New Area Code - PLEASE READ Be sure you read this and pass it on.

809 Area Code We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code. The woman said 'Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you- get back to us quickly. I have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809. We did not respond. Then this week, we received the following e-mail:
Do Not DIAL AREA CODE 809, 284, AND 876 from the UK . U.S. Australia or Canada ..

This one is being distributed all over the US ... This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call. Be sure you read this and pass it on. They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc..

In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the UK . U.S. Australia or Canada , you will apparently be charged a minimum of $2425 per-minute. And you'll also get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.
WHY IT WORKS:

The 809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic ....

The charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.
pop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pop For This Useful Post:
FreaknDavid (23-01-13), Ladybbird (22-01-13)