View Single Post
Old 16-08-12, 02:37   #4
BaZZa101
SUPER Investigative MODERATOR

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,281 Posts
BaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond reputeBaZZa101 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Gold Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal Silver Medal 
Total Awards: 6

Default Re: How We Won ACTA!-From The Pirate Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostill View Post
Unfortunately, they didn't win ACTA. All they did was delay it. ACTA will return under a different name. It will come in bits and pieces, slid into other bills, laws, proposals, or what ever. There will be some 'must have' law or funding action it will be sandwiched into as a bitter pill to take as part of the 'good medicine'.

It's an age old trick. 'For the children, for mom, apple pie, or patriotism", take your pick. But the drive to have ATCA, the desire to see it in place, and the money behind it to see it done, haven't went anywhere. They'll be pushing another better disguised bill that somewhere contains it until they have enough passed to be the same thing.

Only a battle was won, not the war.
Yes I can see and have seen PhotoStill's points here in action.
In Australia the Government wanted to bring in "Indefinite Sentencing" for all InMates (prisoners) of interest. The Public said "NO". So they (government) then set about changing their focus to only targeting "Serial Predator Sex-Offenders", namely Denis Ferguson who was soon to be released (2yrs or so). The Law "Indefinite Sentencing of Sex Offenders" got passed. The Law was promoted as Keeping Serial Child Sex Predators inside where they belong. This all seems to be OK, keep the Predators of the streets and our children are safe.
Well the Government have taken MANY "Serial Predator Sex-offenders" to court and have lost many times the case, thus the likes of Denis Ferguson are all walking the streets. So you might say Well the law don't work....
BUT is it (Indefinite Sentencing Act) suppose to work????
It is clear now 7 or so yrs after the Law was made that it's original purpose was NOT to keep the like of Denis Ferguson in prison. NO... the title of the law is "Indefinite Sentencing of Sex Offenders" and becoming a Sex Offender is very easy. You don't have to actually have SEX to become a Sex Offender.
A mate of mine got into an argument with a male neighbour, who had a base ball bat in his hand, and the argument got out of control and my mate said "put the bat down or I will shove it up your ass!", the neighbour replied "make me and you and who's army". Well lets just say the bat ended up where the sun don't shine. My mate is now a Sex-Offender.
If you where an Armed Bank robber and you made all of the hosages Take of their Cloths, you would most likely be charged as a "Voilent Sex-Offender". If you where to expose (show a sex tape) to anyone and they objected to it, you could be charged as a "Sex Offender"
So now instead of having just a small amount of prisoners (the likes of Denis Ferguson) that the "Indefinite Sentencing of Sex Offenders" law can be applied to, the government can now apply this law to over 1/5th of its current prisoners. Expect this to increase as more people are processed through the courts.
BUT I have said that the Law is not working as the Government have lost most of its "Indefinite Sentencing" cases... Well thats OK because what the Government is doing is collecting a list of sex-offenders whom they would like to keep inside. Now these "Bad Bad Men" are Freed because the people (of the court) have set them free.... So now there will come a time when more and more of these "Bad Bad Men" will commit another "Sex related Crime", then using the argument of "We Told You So Before and You (the people) Didn't trust our Judgement", more and more "Indefinite Sentencing" cases will be successful.
As PhotoStill has stated...
It's an age old trick. 'For the children, for mom, apple pie, or patriotism", take your pick. But the drive to have ATCA, the desire to see it in place, and the money behind it to see it done, haven't went anywhere. They'll be pushing another better disguised bill that somewhere contains it until they have enough passed to be the same thing.
My stuff here about Indefinite Sentencing has now aged and is setting it-self up to do what it wanted to do it the beginning. ATCA bill just starting out doing what it wants, and it will get it in the end.
PS
Indefinite Sentencing means that the Government can take a prisoner to court with in his (prisoner) last serving year of incarceration, given that the prisoner is given 6 months notice, and apply to have him (prisoner) incarcerated for another 12 months above and beyond his (prisoner) full sentencing time given to him (prisoner) by the court of land. This process can again be applied for the following year for as many years as deemed necessary. Necessary is being based on the Chance that he (prisoner) May Offend Again as Believed and Rated by the Government.
And this is the Lucky Country
The Following User Says Thank You to BaZZa101 For This Useful Post:
photostill (16-08-12)