View Single Post
Old 11-06-12, 04:46   #2
photostill
The Enigma

Thanked 1,524 Times in 928 Posts
photostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Enigma 1,800 Miles Below Us

An interesting article on the whole.

I find verification for what I have already suspected that we are on the verge of a magnetic pole reversal and have already mentioned this once before here. The magnetic poles are wandering at a much faster clip than in the past. The facts I have pulled are older than this article, indicating that there has been a 10% decrease in the magnetic shield in the last 150 years. If the article is correct with newer data it reinforces a speed up of the decrease. For the last 4 centuries, the magnetic pole drift has been fairly steady...up till this century. This century has seen an increase in the speed of drift. Within another 50 years the magnetic pole could be located in Siberia, rather than in the Americas where it is today. One of the minor results of this shift would be far less auroras in Alaska and Canada. When the magnetic poles were first discovered in 1831, measurements were taken and then it was revisited in 1904. Explorers of the time discovered the magnetic pole had shifted 31 miles. So that means within 71 years, the magnetic pole had drifted only 31 miles. Now within 50 years it will drift much faster to be located within Siberia. It also could account for a statistically greater measurement in the incidents of skin cancer in the Northern Hemisphere, especially when coupled with the Ozone hole for the Northern latitudes.

In the southern latitudes, the drift of declination is about ⅕ of degree per year. So in 5 years the declination has drifted 1°. At 2° for long distance travel by compass means that an aircraft could quite literally show up at the wrong airport by compass heading. The closer to the pole you get, the greater the error. This means anywhere from every 10 years or less, runways have to be renumbered at airports, depending on their latitude.

On the core and it's heat loss, conduction guarantees heat transfer to space. Convection heat transfer is what is powering the Pacific Ring of Fire, along with the other plate edge volcanoes. I suspect we will find out that radiation is responsible for a much greater amount of heat source, simply because we've been 4-5 billion years since the Earth formed but haven't run out of internal heat, like Mars and the Moon, both which probably are much lower in nuclear materials if they contain any at all. We do know that Mars has no magnetic field, meaning no fluid/iron core. You simply can't run that amount of time, with out a heat source to keep it going.

Because the core spins at a different rate than the crust, there is some amount of centrifugal separation. True, it's not like it was in a centrifuge being separated, but even small amounts of spin encourages separation into how dense a material is. This should mean that the viscosity changes, barring heat lowering it into participial zones. This could also mean that there are more than just two different zones of density within the extremes between the iron core and the crust.

On the whole that is pure speculation as I am not a scientist by any means. Just an armchair observer.

You can help this site, by clicking on the link below to buy a Premium Account.
& Thank you for helping us. Click;

photostill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photostill For This Useful Post:
BaZZa101 (10-08-12), BlueRose (11-06-12)