View Single Post
Old 25-05-12, 17:12   #2
photostill
The Enigma

Thanked 1,524 Times in 928 Posts
photostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant future
Default Re: BitTorrent Traffic Booms Due to “Licensing Challenges”

Yeah, I had read this early on. Here's the thing. I don't think torrents have a future without major changes to the client. It has a signature if you will, that anyone hunting for file sharers and sharing from ISPs can identify by traffic patterns alone.

Torrents are well known to take every bit of b/w it can get. It's also well known to connect to various different IPs as it goes about in the swarm getting bits it needs for the complete download. While it is doing this is it also uploading as much as it can, limited by the client to what ever settings are applied. It would be readily evident to the ISP that a limiter on the upload was applied and how much that was, by the traffic itself, without ever knowing what was actually being transferred. To say it another way, the torrent traffic is a red flag to any looking for it.

Then there is the upcoming 6 strikes that will be implemented in the US by the major internet ISPs. It was supposed to come out in July but that has now been set back to a later date with implementation being stated as the problem.

Sandvine is an insidious device that has been ruled illegal in some places. What Sandvine does, is data mine the packet stream with the ability to reassemble the data while it is in route between source and downloader. This doesn't do Sandvine any good if the data packet is encrypted but for plain out traffic it works. This is why everyone is talking of going to VPN because that is part of what VPN does is create an encrypted tunnel between the connections of user and VPN source. Suddenly the ISP can not tell where you go on the net nor what you are doing, beyond observing traffic patterns. All they know is you connect from them to a VPN provider.

File sharing won't die. I sort of look at this in the same manner that it was taken back during the day that Napster was taken down. It's a period of adjustment while file sharing systems get their crap together. Sometime later, the new twists in the law will be taken into account and a new sharing system will come out. Much the same as after Napster, everyone went to decentralization.

This is wishful thinking on the part of the copyrwrong gang that torrent traffic dying is a sign that they have file sharing under control. Right behind that will be the attempt later when sales don't rise even though file sharing dropped in numbers to paint a happy face on it.

You can help this site, by clicking on the link below to buy a Premium Account.
& Thank you for helping us. Click;

photostill is offline   Reply With Quote