View Single Post
Old 24-05-12, 23:12   #2
photostill
The Enigma

Thanked 1,524 Times in 928 Posts
photostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant futurephotostill has a brilliant future
Default Re: RIAA Sues Limewire for $72 Trillion

To me it sounds like someone has made a mistake as this is old news...really old news. This was in the news a year or more ago. In fact it seems to me the judge booted them out of court with that claim of damages and told them to get a new figure...something closer to the truth.

Again it's not the money they expect to make. All this is, is crowing rights. They know right off the bat there is not hope of ever getting this amount of money from Limewire. Limewire has been sold already to meet it's past debts if I remember correctly.

All this ever was, was a puppet show and tell event. If they actually had to show proof of damages, according to value of today's' mp3s it wouldn't be worth taking to court unless it was big...as in really really big. The copywrong gang can't get past the ....but, but, pirates...to even set down and look at a new business model. Just like with yesteryear's VCR that they fought tooth and nail over, when it was all said and done with and ruled legal, suddenly the whole gang figured out that there was money to be made in VCR rentals but it took coming to a dead end in court for them to look and discover the greatest money maker they ever had.

*Edit*

I should have looked this up and verified the date. It bothered me that I had not so I went off looking and here is what I found...

RIAA Thinks LimeWire Owes $75 Trillion in Damages
Mar 26, 2011
https://www.pcworld.com/article/223431/riaa_thinks_limewire_owes_75_trillion_in_damages.html
*Edit 2* Not being able to leave it alone, here's the judge's part in this...

in March of 2011, Judge Kimba Wood rejected that claim, noting that:

"Plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877," Wood wrote, citing a Lime Group court filing referring to the inventor Thomas Edison. She called this an "absurd result."

*Edit 3* ...a year ago, in May of 2011, Limewire famously settled the case for $105 million. That case is basically over.

*Edit 4* And yet, for reasons that are beyond me, someone has revived the original story and lots and lots of other sites -- including plenty with real reporters who should know better -- are repeating it as fact, even to the point some are claiming that this shows the RIAA "wasn't satisfied" with the $105 million settlement. Most reports are linking back to NME as originating it, and the NME report links back to one of the many posts from March of 2011, from Computerworld, so you might think that the (nameless) NME reporter misread the date.

However, in looking around, two days before NME did its bogus report, it looks like Stuff.co.nz posted a similar story also linking to that same ComputerWorld story. Amusingly, the very first comment on that Stuff piece points out that link is to a story from 2011. And yet, Stuff has still not updated its story or posted a correction. Meanwhile, it looks like NME's (still nameless) reporter, simply copied the story from Stuff without crediting Stuff in the first place... meaning that many people are blaming NME for reviving the story, when really, NME just sucks at crediting their sources (and fact checking).

Either way, tons of other sites picked up on the story, including CBS News, who has since pulled it down entirely and just has a 404 page where it was before.

Then there are the folks at "Business Insider," who still have the story up but appear to have appended a "note" at the bottom that says "This case was settled last May for the much smaller fee of $105 million." You'd think that this should have led them to (a) change the headline (b) put the note at the top (c) be a little more clear in correcting their error. Even The Onion fell for it, though they've since posted an update. Then there are folks like WebProNews, Spinner and ZeroPaid (who is normally so good on this stuff), all of whom should have known better.

Anyway: basically this story is bogus. Well over a year ago, the RIAA made a ridiculous attempt to seek damages on every download. No specific amount was named, and no matter how you do your math, that $72 trillion number never made any sense at all. It was just a reporter looking for a good headline. Either way, the judge totally rejected that plan 15 months ago, and the entire case settled a year ago.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120524/16265119070/no-riaa-is-not-asking-72-trillion-limewire-bad-reporters-bad.shtml

You can help this site, by clicking on the link below to buy a Premium Account.
& Thank you for helping us. Click;

Last edited by photostill; 25-05-12 at 02:14.
photostill is offline   Reply With Quote