View Single Post
Old 16-05-12, 19:25   #5
Al.Ternat
Honoured Member & VIP

Al.Ternat will become famous soon enoughAl.Ternat will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal Bronze Medal 
Total Awards: 2

Default Re: Finnish Court Rules Open WiFi Network Owner not Liable

Let me clarify the posting.
I'm not talking about war driving, where you cruise the block and use sniffing tools to map unsecured WiFi networks and make unauthorized use of the WiFi home network.

Where i live, a lot of people use a WiFi network in their homes. The WiFi router and the broadband cable modem are integrated.

To expand WiFi coverage, the service provider gives people, that are passing by, using WiFi equipment, access to the person's WiFi home network to get on the broadband cable.

The WiFi network is shared by the owner and the person passing by.

The owner of the WiFi home network and the user of the WiFi device must have the same internet provider.

This access is for "Layer 1", the physical layer only. So the WiFi home network can still be protected with Wi-Fi Protected Access II (WPA2)

One does'nt have to agree with sharing his/her WiFi home network. but when that person is mobile he/she can't use someone elses WiFi home network to access the internet.

This solution is only for areas where the "WiFi hotspots" don't work properly (Too remote and signal too weak.
Al.Ternat is offline   Reply With Quote