Thread: Firewalls
View Single Post
Old 01-05-12, 23:04   #6
bobo

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,067 Posts
bobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Gold Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal Best Admin 
Total Awards: 6

Default Re: Firewalls

I used to love Norton many many years ago but I got tired of how much control they have on your computer and I advise everyone I know to stay away from them. I'm not sure which programs from Norton need you to connect to the site to finish removing but that might be one of them. In your windows search tab type in Norton and see if it points to any files still left there, and see if you can manually remove them, or goolge remove norton XXX and you should get the info. As far as Vista and windows 7 I let windows handle the firewall, and use AVG free, spybot search and destroy, CCleaner and use virus addons for my browsers. I've been good for the last 4 or 5 years. You also need to make sure you have the user account settings set up to make sure that you get asked anytime a program wants to install something, this for the most part keeps garbage out but can be a pain sometimes when you want to install something You have to turn control off reboot then install, then after instal remember to turn it back on again. If you're like me you don't install too much so you don't have to do this that often. If you use spybot when you immunize you have to turn off user control as well. You'll get a lot of opinions and it's going to boil down to a personal choice for you, there are advantages and disadvantages to all types of setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop View Post
I just used a 90 day trail with Norton even after deleteing it when time ran out I'm sure they would have some cookies somewhere preventing me from using a paid version :wink:

Last edited by bobo; 01-05-12 at 23:11.
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobo For This Useful Post:
photostill (01-05-12), pop (13-05-12)