View Single Post
Old 07-01-12, 20:30   #13
DMan999

Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,437 Posts
DMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond reputeDMan999 has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Gold Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 5

Send a message via ICQ to DMan999
Default Re: XP hangs on shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ethereal Being View Post
Played around quite a bit since I posted.

Cleaned, scrubbed and nit picked my way through the PC.
This is the Net machine that I use to post this, the other is my conversion PC because its built like a brick chit house, made for speed.

Nothing in start up folder, I try to keep it down to a minimum or nothing.

Did locate something, I did install willingly MiPony and I gave it the directive NOT to tie in with I.E. but it did.
Opened I.E. as Firefox is my browser by default, and stripped that sucker as bare as a badger. MiPony had installed a toolbar into I.E. so that's gone as well as some other minor things. I don't use I.E. anyway so if it doesn't function as a browser it wont matter.

Now I am getting the hang about 1 in 8 - 10 times, which is considerably better than everytime.

Also discovered there is a hyperlink in the EXT HDD that hooks to I.E. but to plough through 500 plus Gb to locate the one offending problem, (I guess in jpg or similar) would take a month of Sundays.
But when this one occurs it tells me that it won't safely remove the USB, so I have been using Unlocker to kill the process, and whammo its gone.
I hate I.E. its worse than a virus that infiltrates everything and hates to be left out of anything.

Got a friend who has a fix for I.E., but yet have to download it, but it completely removes it from the PC altogether and Firefox or the browser of your choosing, is the only one on the computer. More to check out first, but as long it doesn't kill off my O.E. as that is my main email program.

I still think Xp is the best, have used Win7 and Vista, and perhaps "the new" is overwhelminng, I didn't like them. Too locked up for me and trying to sort a friend's PC who has both programs on her 2 PC's was a nightmare. Neither obeyed simple commands, not to mention how much was hidden compared to Xp.

XP was solid for sure. I fought upgrading until I got a 64bit PC. Win 7 is better for a 64 bit system. Vista was just crap, a Win 7 wannabee. Alas I agree XP is awesome, but I finally did break down and go to Win 7. I had Vista on my last laptop, it was crap in the first degree, just like Win ME was.