View Single Post
Old 07-01-12, 19:41   #12
The Ethereal Being & Barbara
Special MODERATORING Team

The Ethereal Being & Barbara has a spectacular aura aboutThe Ethereal Being & Barbara has a spectacular aura aboutThe Ethereal Being & Barbara has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal 
Total Awards: 1

Default Re: XP hangs on shutdown

Played around quite a bit since I posted.

Cleaned, scrubbed and nit picked my way through the PC.
This is the Net machine that I use to post this, the other is my conversion PC because its built like a brick chit house, made for speed.

Nothing in start up folder, I try to keep it down to a minimum or nothing.

Did locate something, I did install willingly MiPony and I gave it the directive NOT to tie in with I.E. but it did.
Opened I.E. as Firefox is my browser by default, and stripped that sucker as bare as a badger. MiPony had installed a toolbar into I.E. so that's gone as well as some other minor things. I don't use I.E. anyway so if it doesn't function as a browser it wont matter.

Now I am getting the hang about 1 in 8 - 10 times, which is considerably better than everytime.

Also discovered there is a hyperlink in the EXT HDD that hooks to I.E. but to plough through 500 plus Gb to locate the one offending problem, (I guess in jpg or similar) would take a month of Sundays.
But when this one occurs it tells me that it won't safely remove the USB, so I have been using Unlocker to kill the process, and whammo its gone.
I hate I.E. its worse than a virus that infiltrates everything and hates to be left out of anything.

Got a friend who has a fix for I.E., but yet have to download it, but it completely removes it from the PC altogether and Firefox or the browser of your choosing, is the only one on the computer. More to check out first, but as long it doesn't kill off my O.E. as that is my main email program.

I still think Xp is the best, have used Win7 and Vista, and perhaps "the new" is overwhelminng, I didn't like them. Too locked up for me and trying to sort a friend's PC who has both programs on her 2 PC's was a nightmare. Neither obeyed simple commands, not to mention how much was hidden compared to Xp.

All my links are my own dvdrips unless specified. All Uploads are in English unless specified.
I like quality, not quantity.
& You get more requests filled when you say thanks.

The Ethereal Being & Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote