View Single Post
Old 04-07-19, 16:34   #1
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,458 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Tennis Wimbledon 2019 FINALS RESULTS

Wimbledon 2019

Bernard Tomic Fined Full £45,000 Prize Money After Dismal Wimbledon 2019 Exit

Tomic, who was punished for a similar offence two years ago, lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in just 58 minutes

Daily Mirror UK, 4 July 2019.

Bernard Tomic has been fined 100 per cent of his prize money by Wimbledon for a lack of effort in his first-round match.

The Australian, who was punished for a similar offence two years ago, has been hit with a £45,000 sanction after the All England Club ruled he "did not perform to the required professional standard" during his 58-minute defeat to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Tomic won 6-2 6-1 6-4 on Day Two of this year's competition, wrapping up the quickest win in the men's singles since 2004, when Roger Federer thrashed Colombia’s Alejandro Falla 6-1 6-2 6-0 in the second round.

A statement from Wimbledon organisers declared: "The Grand Slam Rule Book regarding First Round Performance states the following: 'All players are expected to perform to a professional standard in every Grand Slam match. With respect to First Round Performance, if in the opinion of the Referee the player did not perform to the required professional standard, the Referee may determine that the player be subject to a fine of up to first round prize money.'

Bernard Tomic has been fined his full £45k prize money (Image: Getty Images)

"It is the opinion of the Referee that the performance of Bernard Tomic in his first round match against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga did not meet the required professional standards, and therefore he has been fined the maximum amount of £45,000 which will be deducted from prize money.

"The player will have the opportunity to appeal to the director, GSB."

Tomic was fined £11,000 two years ago (Image: Getty Images)

BBC commentator John Lloyd branded Tomic's antics as "embarrassing" and called his performance "disgraceful".

Tomic himself was somewhat dismissive post-match when asked if he believed he had displayed a lack of effort.

"Well, I returned pretty bad. Didn’t see his serve. Pretty terrible match.

"I think I played as best as I could. It’s just I played terrible. And he served 24 aces."

Tomic was fined £11,000 two years ago for saying he was "bored" in a match with Mischa Zverev and dropped by racquet sponsors Head.

..................SHARKS are Closing in on TRUMP..........................

TRUMP WARNS; 'There'll Be a Bloodbath If I Don't Get Elected'..MAGA - MyAssGotArrested...IT's COMING

PLEASE HELP THIS SITE..Click DONATE
& Thanks to ALL Members of ... 1..

THIS SITE IS MORE THAN JUST WAREZ...& TO STOP SPAM-IF YOU WANT TO POST, YOUR FIRST POST MUST BE IN WELCOMES
Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote