View Single Post
Old 29-03-19, 19:57   #1
Ladybbird

Thanked 14,456 Times in 10,262 Posts
Ladybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond reputeLadybbird has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Admin Best Admin Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 8

Cool Special Olympics: Trump Reverses HIS Decision to Cut Funding

Special Olympics: Trump Reverses HIS Plan to Cut ALL Funding

Trump Supporter, Betsy DeVos, Education Secretary, Has Been Under Fire Since Her Budget Proposal Introduced The Cut on Thursday

The Guardian UK, 29 MAR 2019.

Donald Trump said on Thursday afternoon that he’s “overridden” his own instructions to administration officials on proposing to cut funding for the Special Olympics out of the latest federal budget proposals.

“The Special Olympics will be funded, I just told my people,” the president told reporters on the lawn at the White House as he departed to take a flight to an evening rally in Michigan...

The education secretary, Betsy DeVos, had been under fire since her department’s budget proposal for the next fiscal year did not include US funding for the Special Olympics.

“As you know, budgeting within the administration is a collaborative one. As I said then, and I’ll say again, we were told we had to make tough choices and decisions around budget priorities,”
DeVos had said earlier on Thursday.

Trump’s comments came as his administration faced widespread outrage over its proposal to do away with federal funding for the Special Olympics – a 51-year-old program offering school programming and sports competitions and training for the disabled – from its 2020 budget.

Trump’s budget proposed $17.6m in cuts to the Special Olympics as part of an overall 10% reduction in the budget for the Department of Education.

DeVos struggled to explain the decision this week as lawmakers grilled her during an appearance on Capitol Hill.

“I still can’t understand why you would go after disabled children in your budget,” the congresswoman Barbara Lee, a Democrat from California, told DeVos at a hearing. “You zero that out. It’s appalling.”

DeVos subsequently defended the move in a statement that sparked its own controversy for blaming the media, without evidence, of misrepresenting the proposed cuts

But then acknowledging them to be true.

DeVos added that while she personally supported the Special Olympics and its mission, the federal government “cannot fund every worthy program, particularly ones that enjoy robust support from private donations”.

“There are dozens of worthy nonprofits that support students and adults with disabilities that don’t get a dime of federal grant money,” DeVos said.

In the bottom right corner you can see models wearing the uniforms of the Waffen-SS, which were part of the armed wing of the Second World War NAZI party. (Donald J. Trump/Twitter)

Ladybbird is online now   Reply With Quote