View Single Post
Old 25-06-18, 16:01   #496
Tarfoot
Honoured Member

Thanked 1,107 Times in 992 Posts
Tarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal Bronze Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 5

Default re: Power of Prayer >No Matter Which Faith YouFollow=GOD is With You

Unclogging the Pipes

Come and listen, all you who fear God, and I will tell you what he did for me. For I cried out to him for help, praising him as I spoke. If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, my Lord would not have listened. But God did listen! He paid attention to my prayer. Praise God, who did not ignore my prayer and did not withdraw his unfailing love from me.
Psalm 66:16-20

What sobering verses! When we come to God with a burden or request, oh, how we want him to hear us and answer. In today’s verses David gives clear instruction: when we’re crying out to God for help, we should first come to him in confession and ask him to cleanse our hearts. Then he will pay attention and will not ignore our prayer.

I illustrated this lesson for some children one Sunday with a piece of transitional pipe that I stuffed with brown Play-Doh and held to my ear. Sin clogs communication between God and us—the way the Play-Doh clogged the pipe, keeps us from hearing God, and keeps him from hearing us. But when we ask his Spirit to search our hearts and show us anything that displeases him, he will reveal what we need to confess. When we bring that sin to the cross, Jesus is faithful to cleanse us from all unrighteousness, as he promises in 1 John 1:9. Out goes the Play-Doh representing our sin—and the paths of communication are open again! Now we can proclaim with David: Praise God, who paid attention to my prayer, who answered me from his holy hill!

LORD, I ask you, search my heart. Shine your light on my sin. Forgive me. I am crying out to you for help. Thank you for hearing me, answering the cry of my heart, and continuing to show your unfailing love in my life.

Either sin is with you, lying on your shoulders, or it is lying on Christ, the Lamb of God. Now if it is lying on your back, you are lost; but if it is resting on Christ, you are free, and you will be saved. Now choose what you want. Martin Luther (1483–1546)

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people -- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Tarfoot is online now   Reply With Quote