View Single Post
Old 21-06-18, 22:49   #493
Tarfoot
Honoured Member

Thanked 1,107 Times in 992 Posts
Tarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal Bronze Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 5

Default re: Power of Prayer >No Matter Which Faith YouFollow=GOD is With You

Side Effects

Now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6:22-23

I get a chuckle from all those slick television commercials advertising expensive new medicines. Why? Because, by law, even the most sophisticated ad has to disclose the potential side effects of the medicine it is advertising. You’ve probably heard one that pushes a medicine that will rid you of arthritis pain. But then, in a reassuring tone, the voice goes on to say that in addition to all its wonderful benefits, this medicine might cause indigestion, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Oh, and by the way, it might also cause a heart attack or stroke, which might lead to your death. Perhaps that reassuring voice is meant to signal that even if the worst should happen, at least you won’t be in pain anymore.

Or what about this pitch for a drug to cure restless leg syndrome: “Tell your doctor . . . if you experience increased gambling, sexual, or other urges.” Thanks, but I’d rather my legs get twitchy than take a medicine that makes me want to run off to Vegas with my life savings.

The Bible has its own share of prescriptions, for which the side effects are duly noted. Swallow the sin pill, for instance, and it will eventually lead to disaster, calamity, conflict, alienation, bitterness, ruin, and death. But the side effects that come from entrusting your life to God and to his Son Jesus Christ are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (see Galatians 5:22-23), and life everlasting (see John 3:16). No slick ads, just the truth that will set you free.

Lord, thank you for not hiding the consequences of living in a particular way. Help me not to seek an easy life but to seek a good life, blessed by your presence and held safely in your hands. Amen
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people -- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Tarfoot is online now   Reply With Quote