View Single Post
Old 28-04-18, 03:03   #461
Tarfoot
Honoured Member

Thanked 1,107 Times in 992 Posts
Tarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud ofTarfoot has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Bronze Medal Bronze Medal Gold Medal Gold Medal 
Total Awards: 5

Default re: Power of Prayer >No Matter Which Faith YouFollow=GOD is With You

FORGIVENESS

Appearances can be deceiving. Many of us have spent a lifetime creating the mask that we wear out in public. We want people to respond to us in a certain way based on the mask we wear. For example, if we project a loving mother to the world, we hope to be treated tenderly. If our mask is one of a ruthless corporate executive, we expect others’ response to be fear. But the real purpose of our masks is to safeguard our hurts, hang-ups and habits so that people can’t get to know the “real us.”
A large, unsmiling man sat in the back row of a Celebrate Recovery conference. He was covered with tattoos, sported a variety of earrings in each ear and wore a black leather vest and boots and a red bandana around his head and neck. Throughout the day the man sat with his back erect and his arms folded across his massive chest, never once participating in the discussion. He just stared at the speakers with a piercing expression in his eyes.
At the end of the day, one of the speakers hesitatingly approached him to ask whether he had any questions and to learn about any objections he might have. With tears streaming down his face, the man responded simply, “I love everything you said about this program, and I think it could change my life and the members of our congregation. But I just don’t think God would use me, with all the sins of my past, to begin this program at our church.”
This man needed to accept forgiveness by acknowledging what Jesus did on the cross for him (Jesus exclaimed from the cross, “It is finished”; John 19:30). No matter how grievously this individual may have injured others or himself, he needed to hear and accept that God’s grace is always sufficient and his forgiveness is always complete. Romans 3:22–24 says, “This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”
In recovery, we can put aside our masks once and for all and allow people to get to know the “real us.” We do that by completing Principle Six: “Evaluate all my relationships. Offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me and make amends for harm I’ve done to others, except when to do so would harm them or others.” Forgiveness is clearly God’s prescription for the broken. No matter how dreadful the offense or abuse, along the path to healing lies forgiveness.
We all need to learn to ask for and accept God’s forgiveness. In addition, we all need to model his forgiveness with respect to ourselves before we can begin to truly forgive others and experience God’s love. Self-forgiveness isn’t a matter of assigning the blame to someone else and letting ourselves off the hook. Nor is it a license for irresponsibility. It’s simply an acknowledgment that we’re human, just like everybody else, and that we’ve reached the stage in our recovery where we’re able to give ourselves greater respect.
This breaks the cycle. It doesn’t settle all the questions about blame, justice or fairness, but it does allow relationships to heal and possibly even start afresh. This is the essence of God’s invitation in Isaiah 1:18: “‘Come now, let us settle the matter,’ says the LORD. ‘Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.’”
As we take the necessary steps of forgiveness, we’ll discover that we’re letting go of the guilt and shame. We’ll be able to acknowledge, “I’m not perfect, but Christ is. God and I are still working on me. I still fall down, but with my Savior’s help, I can get up, brush myself off and try again.”
By offering our forgiveness we can’t change our past—but we most definitely can brighten our future.

Take a Look:

• Is there something you did in the past that’s still making you feel unlovable today? Have you turned it over to God and done what Principle Six asks you to do?
• Can you recall specific examples of the freedom you felt when you forgave someone else for hurting you?
• How does Romans 3:22–24 help you to accept God’s forgiveness in your life?
• How will offering your forgiveness to others change your future?
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people -- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Tarfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tarfoot For This Useful Post:
Ladybbird (04-05-18)