View Single Post
Old 19-07-11, 09:25   #15
megabyter
DT1 Poster

megabyter is a glorious beacon of lightmegabyter is a glorious beacon of lightmegabyter is a glorious beacon of lightmegabyter is a glorious beacon of lightmegabyter is a glorious beacon of lightmegabyter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: HELP Please - Can I get rid of W7 and reinstall Vista

If you are going to install xp the installation process is much longer and much more difficult than WIN7 and you will probably have to trawl the net for the drivers for your machine.
The system is much slower than windows 7 as well and has more errors than windows 7 and prone to crashing more easily.
You will have to set your machine to boot from cd if it is not already set, best way to check is to put the disc in then shut the machine down and restart to see if it gives you the line to ......press any key to boot from cd....if it does not do so then you can set boot options from the bios.
When starting your comp watch for a message which tells you which key to press to start setup, it may be ...F2.....F8....or ......delete, your loading screen should tell you which key.
In bios settings find....BOOT...or BOOT ORDER....and set...Boot from cd...as first boot.
Press F10 key to exit and save bios settings, your machine should then restart and you will see the command.....press any key to boot from cd...windows should then start...loading files.
when files are loaded you will get a blue screen with the drives or patitions showing.
You can then follow instructions and delete the patitions to make one partion then follow instructions to format the single partition.
You then follow the instructions to format the single patition and windows will format the drive and start loading files and installing.
Make sure you do not need a key fot the windows xp you downloaded or you will not be able to install it completly and also make sure it is pre activated because if you install and have to activate you will need to crack it or after 30 days you will not be able to start your pc except for safe mode...
Eveyone is entitled to their opinion but personally I think both XP and VISTA is crap and I have yet to meet anyone who thinks otherwise except majong.
Saying to download driver genius you will need a cracked version of that too because the trial will only allow you to install 2 or 3 drivers and ask you to buy it to get the rest of them.
Windows 7 when installed correctly is the best version, I have installed in at least 20 comps for friends and family and they all love it and much faster.
Hope you get it ok LadyB...
ps..There is a file out on the net that has 100,000 windows xp drivers in it, may be worth googling....
I personally use windows 7 ultimate edition x32, 64 just runs everything in x32 anyway, and it is by far the best windows system I have used and that's from way back to windows 3.2 !!!

Last edited by megabyter; 19-07-11 at 17:13.